Glasgow Uni student cycles for 12 hours straight for NHS charities

He has already surpassed his fundraising target!

A second year medic student cycled for 12 hours straight in his garage in order to raise money for NHS Charities Together. The donations will go towards NHS staff, volunteers and patients impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.

Matt Smith aimed to raise £500, however, he has completely surpassed his target and raised a massive £1,282.

He also managed to cycle a staggering 306km during his 12 hour challenge, making us all look incredibly lazy during this lockdown.

On his Just Giving page, Matt said: “On Saturday the 18th of April I’m heading to my garage and getting on my bike to cycle absolutely nowhere(/as far as I can on an indoor trainer) for 12 hours.

“My hope is that this will inspire some of you to make a donation to NHS Charities Together, which will go towards NHS staff, volunteers and patients impacted by the COVID-19 crisis.

“I’m hoping to post some updates throughout the day so you can see how I’m getting on and so that I can say thanks to anyone who donates, It’s likely to look like the photo above just less in the sun and more in my garage for 12 straight hours.

“I’ll be measuring the distance that I ride so that I can total it all up at the end, so if you fancy having a guess at how far I can go; whack an estimate in the notes section of the donation.”

A huge shift from Matt and all for an amazing cause too! The donation link can be found here: