Glasgow third year starts petition after MSP re-tweets anti-Semitic picture

The petition has over 650 signatures already

A Glasgow third year started an online petition after his MSP retweeted an anti-Semitic image.

Jonathan Manevitch, who studies Politics, couldn’t believe his eyes when he saw Sandra White, the Scottish National Party MSP for Glasgow Kelvin, had retweeted an offensive cartoon last Friday.

His online petition garnered over 650 supporters in just a few days and has been mentioned in both The Independent and the Daily Mail.

The picture White circulated is of a sow marked with a Star of David and the words “Rothschild” and “bank”. The sow is feeding piglets labelled as the UK, the US, Israel, Al-Qaeda, ISIS and Boko Haram.

The image reportedly originated from an American neo-Nazi website.

While both White and First Minister Nicola Sturgeon have apologised publicly, Jonathan argues this is not enough.

The image White retweeted.

The image White retweeted

German-born Manevitch said: “White is my local MSP, so I was shocked to see a cartoon reminding me of the oldest anti-Semitic smears from her.

“I was surprised to learn that a UK politician would get away with nothing but a slap on the wrist. In Germany, where such propaganda resulted in the dehumanisation and eventual killing of European Jewry, a politician would not only resign but face a criminal charge.”

White, who also is the co-convener of the Scottish Parliament’s cross-party group on Palestine, deleted the tweet three days after posting it and claimed ignorance.

In a statement, she said: “I would like to take this opportunity to apologise unreservedly for the offence that has been caused by my accidental retweeting of this offensive image which I too find repellent and offensive.”

The director of the Scottish Council of Jewish Communities, Ephraim Borowski, was happy to accept White’s apology, telling the Guardian: “No one is seriously going to suggest that Sandra White is personally anti-Semitic.”

Others were less forgiving. The president of Glasgow’s Jewish Society, Lea Balint, said: “She’s either anti-Semitic or too stupid to figure out Twitter.”