Full extent of Glasgow School of Art fire is revealed

Paintings by Mackintosh himself were lost

Ten months after the fire at the Glasgow School of Art, the full extent of the damage has been revealed to the public.

The recoveries were made during a 12 week archaeological survey where bosses admitted around 8,000 books and journals were lost in the blaze.

A further 20 per cent of the school’s rare book collection was also lost, along with 90 oil paintings and nearly 100 items of furniture.

The fire, which destroyed the iconic Mackintosh library, also ruined two paintings by Mackintosh himself, and further paintings by the former director, Francis Henry Newberry.

The current director of the GSoA, Tom Inns, told the Scotsman: “We’re obviously devastated to have lost anything from our archives and collections.

“Fortunately the vast majority of the artefacts survive, including all the works on paper by Mackintosh and many of the most important pieces of furniture.”

But it’s not all bad news, with Inns confirming that the vast majority of its archives and collections were saved, along with 60 pieces of furniture.

Other items that were recovered included a studio clock, light fittings and a silver salver.