Six upcoming Christmas events in Exeter that every student should do

Deadline season will have to wait

Believe it or not, it is November already. Over halfway into November actually, which for most is a terrifying thought. Halloween is over, exam season is approaching and seasonal depression is hitting like a tonne of bricks. The good news is, Christmas is around the corner and The Tab is here with a list of the best events you should attend if you want to get into that jolly spirit and catch a break from the hectic student life.

Light Switch On – 17th November

It isn’t really Christmas until the lights are turned on, is it? This event takes place at Princesshay Square and marks the official countdown to Christmas for Exeter. The event is free and perfect to get into the Christmas spirit and runs between 16:00 and 20:00.

Cathedral Christmas Market – 18th November to 18th December

Probably the most popular Christmas plan in the city. The Cathedral Christmas Market is a staple in every Exeter resident’s books when it comes to spending a nice day out with the family, or in the case of Exeter uni students, getting smashed off that delicious street eggnog.

With over 100 different stalls, you are guaranteed to have activities for a few days at the very least. The event opens at 17:00 on the 18th of November and will close at the same time a month from then.

Fore Street Flea Market – 20th November

This annual market has been running for over five years and is one you cannot miss. According to their website you can expect to find “a mixture of stalls from pre-loved clothing and bric-a-brac to artwork and accessories, food, drink and even entertainment.” From 12:00 to 16:00 you will be able to walk around and explore the plethora of stalls for free.

Meet Father Christmas 26th November – 24th December

One is never too old to enjoy asking Father Christmas what you want. It might be one of every flavour vapes or a higher tolerance to alcohol and even if you’ve been naughty this year, trying couldn’t hurt. The jolly old man himself will be at Princesshay on Bedford street waiting for the influx of Exeter students begging him to pass their exams.

Christmas With the Cathedral Choir –  9th December

One of the most expected and highly regarded events of the Christmas season in Exeter has to be the Cathedral Choir concert. Performing three days, 9th, 11th and 12th of December, it is the perfect occasion to also visit the Christmas Market, situated just as you walk out of the cathedral. Tickets range between £10-20 depending on seating and tickets are available on their website.

Spork! Christmas Special – 14th December

An event for fans of poetry who want to spend a nice evening with like-minded individuals. Spork! is a company dedicated to “delivering big dollops of live poetry events, workshops & artist support.” They tend to host their open mic nights at Exeter Phoenix and host a range of talent from across the UK as well as locals. Their Christmas event includes poetry, live music, and comedy and will start at 19:30. Tickets are £8 standard, and £5 for students/under 25. A super affordable and unique experience to spice up your holiday plans.