best vegan food cafes restaurants exeter

The best vegan food spots in Exeter for all the plant based queens

Oat milk girlies, this one’s for you

It’s fair to say that vegan cause almost as much controversy as the Tory government – they’ve certainly been hitting the headlines as much recently… For some reason not eating dairy or meat is a thought some people just can’t handle (PSA: rugby lads, eating meat doesn’t make you more manly). Luckily, Exeter is a vegan food loving place (for the most part), in fact, I’d wager that it’s the oat milk capital of the UK, with more sustainable girls around than anywhere else – everywhere you turn there’s a Depop entrepreneur living her best life making her eco millions. Why do you think Exeter got ranked the 11th most sustainable uni in the UK?

And it’s not just the fashionnn where Exeter’s sustainability thrives, to celebrate world vegan day, we’ve rounded up the best vegan food spots in Exeter.

If you’re looking for vegan food in Exeter, here are the best cafes and restaurants to go to:

The Flat – @theflatexeter

Hands down my favourite place to eat in Exeter, located on Fore Street, it’s an independent veggie/vegan pizza place that does the most insane garlic focaccia I have ever had. Open Wednesday-Saturday, it’s the perfect spot to take your friends and cosy up in their rustic interiors. It would also make a perfect date spot if you fancy getting away from the centre of town where you are likely to run into everyone you know, including friends who are all too willing to spill some embarrassing stories you’d rather leave for a third date…

Sacred Grounds – @exetersacredgrounds

If you ever thought vegan food was boring or not as tasty as omnivore cuisine, Sacred Grounds is here to prove you wrong. Located in McCoys Arcade at the bottom of Fore Street, I can’t say much more other than it’s perfect; it has amazing food from “Eggs” Benedict to caramelised banana waffles, vibey interiors and is surrounded by vintage shops and independents.

Herbies

Located on North Street, Herbies is a lesser known independent veggie and vegan speciality restaurant. Open Tuesday – Saturday, they serve up a range of dishes from sharing boards (which are socially acceptable to order just for yourself) to lasagnes and Buddha Bowls. They even do pre-order takeaways if you fancy eating dinner in your pjs (again, 100 per cent acceptable).

How on Earth Deli – @howoneathdeli

How on Earth was Exeter’s first plant-based delicatessen. It’s family owned and run, offering everything from homemade vegan quiches, wraps and a selection of vegan cheeses which are actually scrummy (no, I’m not saying you won’t be able to tell the difference, I’m just saying they’re delicious). All their produce is locally sourced so you can feel extra virtuous when you go there. If it wasn’t brilliant enough, you can bring your own containers to make you lunch zero waste – or equally bring enough Tupperware to stock your fridge up for the rest of the week…

The Cheeky Vegan – @thecheekyveganexeter

If you want to try out vegan junk food, this is the place for you. It has some truly dirty dishes which will leave you with all the yums but none of the meat sweats. If you’re someone who can’t hack dairy on a hangover but craves a chilli burger or fried chicken pancake stack (no, I’m not kidding), get yourself down to the Cathedral Square.

Veg Box – @vegbox_cafe

If you’re after a nice soul-reviving walk on the quay, why not pop into Veg Box? Open Tuesday-Sunday 10-4, it’s a perfect brunch spot for anyone with indulgent pancakes, smoothies, and the inaugural avo on toast. They even do a Biscoff Hot Chocolate which is worth the trek down to the quay in itself.

Boston Tea Party – @bostonteapartyexeter

Although this one isn’t a vegan only café, it’s one of the only chains that has as many vegan and veggie options as it does meat. So, if you’re heading out with someone who physically cannot bear not to have a bit of meat (again, mullets I’m looking at you), BTP might be a good option as it has something to keep everyone happy from huge breakfasts to toasties and burgers, open Monday-Sunday, it’s the perfect hangover cure.

Truffle Hounds – @trufflehoundsexeter

What’s a better way to end than with something sweet? Truffle Hounds (as you can probably guess by the name) is an independent patisserie and chocolatiers with a big plant based range, located on Fore Street. Again, as the name suggests they’re dog friendly too, so don’t be afraid to go in looking a little worse for wear on a Thursday morning.