Exeter ranked 11th best in UK in new university sustainability rankings

Rah, where’s my sustainable uni?

The Uni of Exeter has been ranked as the 11th best in the UK and in the top 50 in the world in new university sustainability rankings.

The new QS World University Rankings for Sustainability rank 700 universities around the world, to measure how they are able “to tackle the world’s greatest environmental, social and governance challenges”.

Measurements are split into environmental sustainability measures (including sustainable institutions, sustainable education and sustainable research), as well as social impact measures (these include equality, knowledge exchange, educational impact, employability and opportunities, and quality of life).

Exeter was given an overall world impact ranking of 48, with an environmental impact rank of 21 (yay) and social impact rank of 80 (not so yay).

The best university in the country was found to be Edinburgh, which also came fourth overall. Scotland’s apparently the place to be, as Glasgow was second in the UK – followed by Oxford, Newcastle, and Cambridge to round out the top five.

Earlier this month, Times Higher Education World University Rankings placed Exeter as the 19th best uni in the UK, and 137th in the world. The uni league table ranks almost 1,800 unis across over 100 countries around the globe.

You can see the full QS World University Rankings: Sustainability 2023 here.