Why we love going home after a term at Uni

There are even avocados

Let’s face it: while there’s no place like university, equally there’s no place like home. It gets to the stage where our tired souls and damaged livers yearn to momentarily escape the squalor of our university lives. We turn to the haven of home to recharge us for the next round.

From the offset, comfort prevails. The post-journey loo trip hits you with the first luxury of home: behold, loo roll which doesn’t feel like sandpaper. It may even be cream in colour, rather than the off-white budget rolls you always end up buying for your house.

If it’s patterned, even better

Next, you realise in shock that it is actually too warm to keep your coat on. The perks of a more liberal use of central heating.

Maybe one day we’ll be able to afford more than 3 hours of heating

And its…clean. How is this level of cleanliness humanly possible?

Scenes you’d be unlikely to see in your family home

In classic British style, you then wander off to the kitchen for a cuppa. My God, never was there a more welcome sight than a well-stocked, in-date, Waitrose-dominated fridge. Not a ‘basic-range’ product to be seen.

The place where top-notch nosh magically appears… And it’s all up for grabs

There are even avocados.

You reach for the milk; no need for the smell test here.

Now is the perfect moment for a bath. Accompanied by candles and a glass of drinkable wine, out of an actual wine glass. This is the life.

Don’t lie, whenever you’re at uni this is what you dream of

Even if you’re lucky enough to have a bath at uni, you have a strict termly bath policy to conserve water.

Time to make food. But wait, what’s this? Your mum has made a four course dinner celebrating your return? Guess it’s time to watch TV while you wait to be served.

You were proud of your occasional culinary triumphs but ultimately nothing compares

After a majestic meal you curl up on the sofa with your dog, wine in hand, in front of the roaring fire. Ah, the sound of silence. What a novelty. It’s great to be back.

TP seems like a distant memory

But you know it won’t be long before you’re pining for the wild, chaos-filled life of a University student once more.

VK withdrawal symptoms are inevitable