Serial underwear thief jailed for four years

You’re knick-ered

A panty pincher from Exmouth who stole women’s underwear from homes and washing lines 120 times has been jailed.

Carl Nicholson was sentenced to four and a half years in prison by Exeter Crown court on the 6th January.

The 44-year-old, who had a two year suspended sentence for previous burglaries, was reported when he was caught in the act last September.

He was previously convicted for stealing underwear from a washing line and a home in Regent Square, Exeter.

He was then arrested in the Royal Oak pub on Fore Street, where he was sporting a red basque he’d stolen.

This was only three weeks after he had been released from jail following a four year sentence for identical thefts.

Judge Erik Salomonsen told him: “You have a very long record for burglary. You were given a chance last time and you have let down those who tried to help you.”

Detective Constable Carly Davies, based in Exmouth told The Tab: “I am extremely pleased that a prolific burglar had received an appropriate custodial sentence. The nature of his offending meant victims were left distressed and feeling unable to protect their own homes.

“This custodial sentence means that the victims, as well as the wider community in both Exeter and Exmouth, can be reassured that he will remain in prison for a substantial period of time.

“I thank the victims for coming forward and engaging with the police, and continue to advise anyone who has been a victim of crime to come forward to police.”