Edinburgh Fives is on Thursday

Gun you start

Next Thursday, at the men’s hockey club Christmas dinner, freshers will play a high stakes game of Fives with a trip to Edinburgh on the line for the loser.

He will leave St Davids at 06.42 am on Friday.

Each fresher is invited to play a qualifying round of Fives in their respective team and the seven losers of the qualifying rounds then progress to the Grand Final.

The loser of the final will be on a train up to Edinburgh bright and early the next morning reeking of booze, regret and probably the pity shag he got from a four out of 10 found in Moz after the dinner.

The loser can expect a 16 hour round trip and, if two years ago is anything to go by, a kidnapping experience followed by a night out in Bristol.

He will also be plied with alcohol, snacks and the club ties of the unis he passes such as, Bristol, Leeds and Durham and to record the inevitably eventful journey in the Edinburgh Fives diary.

A previous loser about to embark at St Davids

EUMHC club captain Ally Munn said: “Edinburgh Fives is a great club tradition that will hopefully continue to grow as it has done over the last few years.

“The unlucky, or perhaps lucky, fresh that gets on that train will write his name into club history books and will be heralded a hero when he steps back into Walkies.”

“It’s great that Edinburgh embrace the idea of greeting our fresher at the station with gifts and we hope to return the favour to the Edinburgh fresher that descends the country in February.”

Hockey fresher Max Heaver backs his 5s ability, but said: “In the high pressure Walkies environment anything could happen.

“Bookies favourite Mark Loughrey is one to watch.”

Conor Caplan, another fresher, said: “There are a few people that would love for me to go to Edinburgh so i’m sure they will do their best to ensure i’m in a fit state to play the game.”

Brush up on your Fives tekkers and clear your diary for Friday.

The Tab will keep you posted on the journey so keep your eyes peeled for updates next week.