How to bag a bargain at Student Lock-In

Including a full list of the discounts on offer at each shop

Taking place in Exeter’s Princesshay on Wednesday, October 1st, this is an event, which sends teens across the country into a mad frenzy.

But with good reason: it’s an evening of exclusive discounts in high-street stores. Definitely an occasion for blowing the student loan (as if Freshers’ wasn’t enough).

If you do wish to be mildly responsible on this eagerly anticipated evening, we’ve been round the shops to find you the best bargains and some tips about discovering some for yourself.

Firstly, try to scope out what items you want to buy before the Lock-In. Never try to find items on the day as it will be WAY too busy, especially if you’re thinking about trying your luck in Topshop.

Always remember to ask if they have something in the back of the shop if you can’t find it in your size. If worst comes to worst, think about buying it in a different size. Maybe it would work as a crop top? Or in an oversized boyfriend style?

Take a look at our top picks from Princesshay and get there early before they go.

H&M White Shirt – £14.99 (Current Price) and Pink Jumper – £19.99 (Current Price)

Sports Luxe is one look that is sure to blend perfectly into Exeter student life.

New Look purse – £15.99 (Current Price)

Nail two trends in one item with this geo print oversized clutch.

Topshop Glitter Crop Top – £22 (Current Price)

This Saint Laurent inspired glitter crop top will be sure to get you noticed in Arena.

Dorothy Perkins necklace -£12.50 (Current Price)

Oversized jewellery is here to stay this season, so snap up this fringed gold number while you can.

River Island Bag – £45 (Current Price)

Although the initial price is quite steep, with fur dominating runways across the globe and the possibility of an exclusive River Island discount, there really is no better time to treat yourself.

Miss Selfridge cape – £25.00 (Current Price)

Wrap up warm this autumn with the folklore inspired cape coat.

New Looks heels – £17.99 (Current Price)

Add a pop of colour to any outfit in these on-trend tangerine heels.

River Island jacket – £40 (Current Price)

Again a bit more of an investment, but this lime green fitted jacket is a one-off statement piece.

Discounts in full

HMV – 10% off DVDs, games & technology

Molton Brown – 20% off full price

Hotel Chocolat – 10% off

Debenhams – 20% off Red Herring (menswear & ladieswear), 20% off Henry Holland, 20% off Faith, 10% off Benefit and 10% off Urban Decay

Cath Kidston – 20% off full price

Schuh – 20% student discount for those customers with a valid student card, on all full price items, excluding sale and UGG items

Karen Millen – Up to 20% off full price

L K Bennett – 20% discount off all AW14. Terms and conditions: 20% discount available at L.K.Bennett, Princess Hay, Exeter. EX1 1GE. 1st October 2014. Discount not available on the signature collection, shearling, leather ready to wear collections. There is no limit on the size of purchase. Cannot be used in conjunction with other offers, discount cards or vouchers.. The offer is not transferable. There is no cash alternative.

New Look – 20% off full price

Oasis – 15% OFF

All Saints – 20% off full price

Crew Clothing – 20% off full price

Fat Face – 20% off full price

River Island – 20% off full price

Saltrock – 20% off

Superdry – 20% off

Topshop/Topman – 20% off

Two Seasons – 20% off full price

Cafe Rouge – 2 for 1 on main meals

Coal Grill & Bar – “Classic Burger and Pint* for £9.95 *Pint Amstel or 125ml House Wine, 2 for 1 cocktails (only on selected cocktails. Same two must be ordered).”

Giraffe – 20% off food (Valid all day Wednesday 1st October 2014 – Discount is on food only and does not include service, one discount per table/bill max 8 people, not valid with set menus or with any other discount or promotion, offer is not transferable and there is no cash alternative. Valid NUS card must be presented on ordering and will be retained. Giraffe reserve the right to withdraw this offer at any time.) Plus they have Bar Buddies from 5pm –  50% off selected beers, cocktails and wines.

Nandos – 5 free chicken wings when you spend over £7

Yo! Sushi – 25% off food only

Saks Hairdressers – 10% off all products & £15 off GHDs. Voucher Upgrades: Buy £50 & receive £65 of vouchers. Buy £75 & receive £100 of vouchers. A full head of highlights for the prices of a half head of highlights. Must be booked on the night with selected stylists.

Nike Running by Sweatshop – 20% off and a free pair of techical running socks (worth £10) with every shoe purchase

GAP – 20% off full price

Carphone Warehouse – 10% off prepay. 20% off accessories with any phone purchase

Byron – 2 for 1 burgers. Buy any burger, get one free – no takeaways, no extra toppings. Offer also includes main course salads

Dorothy Perkins – 20% off

Miss Selfridge – 20% off full price

Joules – 20% off – This offer is only valid on the date and in the store of the event. This offer is not valid at Joules.com or through our call center. This offer may not be used in conjunction with any other joules offer. The discount cannot be redeemed against postage costs and cannot be used to purchase Joules gift Vouchers. This offer is redeemable against full priced items only. There is no cash alternative. This offer cannot be redeemed against any items that have already been purchased. Joules Ltd reserves the right to change these terms and conditions at any time.

Did you enjoy the music at your Student Lock-In event? Make sure you check out the Student Lock-In playlist on MUZU.TV for the soundtrack to Freshers 2014 here – http://www.muzu.tv/channel/student-lockin/