Health Centre improves city

Exeter splashes out on snazzy new health centre.

Following Exeter’s recent renovations, the new revamped health education and research centre is now open and to think, it only cost £27.5m…

The Research, Innovation, Learning and Development or ‘RILD’ building (not exactly a catchy title) is set to streamline the process from discovery and patient care, putting Exeter at the forefront of global healthcare.

Overlooking Barrack Road, the new building will allow students from the University of Exeter Medical School and the Royal Devon and Exeter NHS Foundation Trust to work closely together.

Is it just me, or does it look like a giant venetian blind?

Head of research at the University of Exeter Medical School, Professor Angela Shore, said: “Our close partnership with the RD&E means that in many cases, clinicians are directly involved in research and this means our breakthroughs will have direct impact on patients in the South West and across the globe.”

The new centre has replaced the old RD&E Postgraduate Education Centre, using 90% of the old building’s materials meaning the majority of money has been spent on state of the art equipment… Let’s hope it’s worth forking out millions for!