Radio Ga Ga or Radio Goo Goo?

Exeter’s English Society try and bring all the lols to the yard.

Comedy english society radio radio play

Over the past few weeks English Society has been busy trying to dispel the notion that the only thing subject societies are good for are free bar socials, arena cards and dubiously witty stash.

The fruit of their labours is a radio comedy, to be broadcast on Xpression FM and online, called STÅLBERG&7.

Adopting the mockumentary format (think The Office meets Parks & Recreation), it follows an inept advertising agency struggling to stay afloat. One of the writers, Joshua Brown told The Tab:  “We wanted to do something that grabbed the bull by the balls and shoved its artificiality into the listeners ears.”

Although the play is a good laugh, Brown is realistic in admitting ” The production values are awful, the acting is mediocre at best, and some of the puns should have been put to pasture.”

But one would be dubious of any student production that single-handedly aims to save the medium of radio, and when asked to describe STÅLBERG&7 up in one sentence, co-writer Cox sums it up as “forty minutes of home-grown sitcom laughs, peppered with sketches and smoky jazz.” Along with the odd bestiality pun.

Rather than being a one-off, the intention is for the one pilot to grow into a series to be broadcast throughout the academic year – so aspirant voice actors, take note. The show is now available on Mixcloud as well as being broadcast on Xpression FM at various times in the coming weeks and again in Freshers Week 2013.

So have a listen, even if just to judge if it’s shit or not, or whether you can recognise any voices in the extensive cast.