Uni hunts black tie students who battered local

Gary Walden needed two days of hospital treatment after attack outside Timepiece

The University has launched an investigation after allegations five students dressed in black tie assaulted a local man.

Gary Walden and his girlfriend were out to celebrate his 40th birthday when he was kicked and knocked to the floor by students outside Timepiece in Little Castle Street.

Walden received a fractured cheekbone and cuts and bruises to his face, which required two days of hospital treatment.

Gary Walden required two days of hospital treatment

Recalling the incident in November last year, Walden described how: “There were some lads dressed in tuxedos and one of them decided to urinate in front of my girlfriend. They were really abusive to her.

“I had a fractured cheekbone and spent several minutes with them all stood around me with lots of legs kicking me.”

Walden, who works in a tattoo parlour in Exeter, shared a photo of his injuries on Facebook, which has received over 9,600 shares.

In an accompanying statement he said: “Five Exeter Uni students were arrested and four of us ID them. But only to hear that all the charges have been dropped due to lack of evidence. The five lads walked free after doing this to me so they can do it again to someone else.”

Devon and Cornwall Police said: “The case has been dropped as the CPS declared there was insufficient evidence to take the case further, so we’ll be taking no further action from our end.”

However, the University will be looking further into the case. A spokesperson told The Tab: “The University weren’t previously aware of what had gone on until we saw Gary Walden’s Facebook post.

“Obviously we’re concerned about the event and have launched an investigation and made enquiries with the police.”