Exit Turns One!

The Tab catches up with resident DJ Phil ‘Wonka’ Cairns.

It’s hard to believe that it’s been a whole year since EXIT, Thick As Thieves’ sweatier little brother, kicked off down at the Cellar Door. After a lot of hard graft and week after week of sticky freshers in snap-backs, the EXIT team bring you their biggest bill yet for tomorrow’s first birthday party, with Hannah Wants and Tom Shorterz going back to back.

Though that would be enough on its own, Brad, Simon and Sophie are treating their 200 lucky ticket holders to another delicacy: a set from Paradise Club Recordings’ MTD.

In order to get an inside look into one of Exeter’s biggest house nights, we caught up with 21-year-old resident DJ Phil ‘Wonka’ Cairns, to try and find out what makes him tick.

Matt McDonald: How did you first get into DJing?

Wonka: Basically, I got some turntables to mess around with my housemates, and kind of progressed from there.

MMc: What happened next?

Wonka: I started my own night called ‘What’s That Noise?’ in Barnstaple. I wanted to share what I was doing in my bedroom to a bigger audience.

MMc: What’s the difference in nightlife like between North Devon and Exeter?

Wonka: Nightlife in terms of clubs in Barnstaple is non-existent. I suppose it’s more about rave culture, the kind of free party vibe. A lot of jungle, much harder dance music.

MMc: You’ve been a house DJ for 3 years. What led you to find EXIT?

Wonka: I played first EXIT last year and really enjoyed it – I didn’t play any until the start of this school year as a resident.

MMc: If you could have any superpower, what would it be?

Wonka: Time travel.

MMc: Where, or when, would you go?

Wonka: I’d go back to Egyptian times and see what the pyramids were all about.

MMc: Do you think there’s been a shift in Exeter’s nightlife culture over the last few years?

Wonka: Definitely. There’s more underground music becoming more widespread – meaning it’s become easier for people to listen to in the open/ Suddelnly a lot of people are coming out as house fans, or are just finding the genre, which is great.

MMc: Who are your hot tips for up and coming acts?

Wonka: A guy called Melee, he plays an eclectic mix of every genre of electronic music. Then there’s Will Berridge, a Barnstaple boy that moved to Leeds, he’s really taking off there.

MMc: What do you make of the Harlem Shake – both the song and the meme?

Wonka: It’s a good track – really into it. As for the videos, they’re way better than Gangnam Style.

MMc: What can we expect from you tomorrow night?

Wonka: I’m back to back with OJF for an hour and a half before the guest acts – expect a lot of deep house, some of which has come from a mix.

MMc: Finally, what’s next for you?

Wonka: We’re going to be starting a night down in Exeter at the Cellar Door. What’s That Noise? will be paying a visit from Barnstaple on Thursday 28 March. A lot of house and garage, bit of grime. Should be a sick night.

Check out Wonka’s latest mix here:

EXIT turns one down at the Cellar Door tomorrow night. There are still a few tickets left on the door.