Grad recruiters ignore Exeter

We’re either top of the bottom or bottom of the top, but grad recruiters are looking elsewhere for fresh meat.

The UK’s top employers are snubbing our brand new campus in favour of finding graduate recruits at a small number of elite universities.

A study carried out by High Flier Research show that most of our top 100 graduate employers are looking to Warwick, Nottingham and Manchester first – leaving Exeter 20th on the list.

It isn’t just Exeter that’s being sidelined – Cambridge is only ranked fourth on the list, with Oxford in seventh place.

71% of employers surveyed spoke of planning to increase the use of social media in promoting graduate schemes, with a quarter announcing they would put fewer resources into traditional university career fairs.

The study also revealed that entry-level graduate jobs have unexpectedly fallen by 0.8%, meaning there is little space for Exeter grads to get noticed by top employers.

Still, the largest recruiters seem to have plenty of space. For 2013 Teach First will have 1,260 spaces, and Deloitte and PwC 1,200 each.