The Tab Meets…Spotted: Exeter Uni Library

Editor Matt McDonald meets the crown princess of procrastination.

In January, we students find ourselves driven to distraction by the simplest practices, whether hitting F5 on Facebook, drifting through the Forum searching for peers as jaded as we are, or writing articles for Exeter’s no.1 student newspaper.

Last term saw the emergence of a number of ‘spotted’ pages across universities in the UK, offering us the opportunity to voice those nagging opinions to the world rather than suffer in silence. Today, Spotted: Exeter Uni Library has over 2300 ‘likes’, where we can tell the “short bearded guy in group study level 1” to “stop staring at my boobs”, or ask “the boy in the yellow puffy jacket and edgy glasses” the question that’s been on the minds of everyone in the room at the time: “do you like house music?”

The individual behind the page wished to retain their anonymity, and thus it was only through the medium of Facebook that the Tab was able to conduct an interview…

MMc: What gave you the idea for the page?

Spotted: I drew inspiration for this spectacular page from other universities who have been doing the same…and obviously I loved the idea of being a so-called ‘gossip girl’.

MMc: How much time do you spend in the library?

Spotted: To put it this way, the library is probably my second home, although I’m more regularly found in Amory. I like to mix it up.

MMc: What is your favourite submission to date?

Spotted: It has to be “To whoever’s running this page…. top notch procrastination from you”…someone has to provide entertainment through the struggle that is the exam period.

MMc: Are you single?

Spotted: Very much so…COME AT ME BOYS.

MMc: Is there anything you wouldn’t repost?

Spotted: There are quite a few I haven’t posted as they are either directly aimed at someone, or they’re racist, or they’re overly nasty. Don’t want to cause too much of a stir amongst the students…

MMc: Is it difficult to remain passive when the post relates to someone you know?

Spotted: Not at all really! I find it hilarious, yet infuriating at the same time as I want to tell them I know, but one must do their utmost best to keep one’s identity a secret.

MMc: Would you ever use your powers to hook people up more directly, say by notifying the person concerned?

Spotted: Well in some of the posts I am technically doing that, but by just being an intermediary and posting what people are messaging in. I probably wouldn’t do that if someone I know asked me, purely because it’s lame (and probably the kind of thing I would do).

MMc: What do you check out more frequently in the library, books or people?

Spotted: If you knew me, the answer to that would be a giveaway since I claim the PPP (prime perving position) wherever I go. I still to this day have not taken a book out of the library, nor taken one off the shelves, and I never intend to #googlescholarftw.

MMc: Where would you say the best place to have sex in the library is?

Spotted: Can’t say I’m a connoisseur on the topic, but maybe one of the aisles on the right in the -1 corridor before you get to the Law Library? Always pretty deserted and quite dark (perf conditions).

MMc: Why are the toilets so gross?

Spotted: Don’t even get me started, I went to the loo earlier today and it was like the entirety of the British army had been decimated…poo and blood everywhere. Is that OK? Maybe in your house, but not in mine. Quick shout out to all you ladies out there; learn how to aim your urine/excretion into the bowl of the toilet and not around it/on the walls/on the floor…it’s not the jungle. God only knows what the mens looks like…

MMc: Finally, which floor has the best looking people?

Spotted: To be brutally honest; whichever floor I am on. Although I am partial to +1 and the law library. Amory does have its days, especially when bobble hat boy makes an appearance (if you’re out there, holla at me).