To helmet, or not to helmet?

Crushing your glorious lid with a life-saving helmet could become compulsory.

Cycling to campus is a great way to keep trimtingz, be super eco-friendly, and it’s free and fast. So, it’s no wonder that it’s a popular mode of transport among us students.

However, Conservative MP Alok Sharma has called for the use of cycle helmets to be made compulsory. Sharma said that there were obvious safety benefits of helmets and that Government legislation should be written to ensure that cyclists wear them.

Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw has warned that forcing cyclists to wear bike helmets would be “deeply counter-productive”.

Bradshaw, the former Health minister, said: “Wherever cycle helmets have been made compulsory – whether in Canada, New Zealand or Australia – that has had such a detrimental impact on cycling rates that the overall impact on children’s health and the health of society as a whole has been deeply negative.”

If legislation to make cycle helmets mandatory is passed, it would have a huge impact on Exeter’s student population.

The University Press Office said: “Cycling has increased on the Exeter campuses by 147% since 2010, and we now average more than 500 cyclists per day during term time.”

Cyclists, assemble!

Many students seem against the use of helmets. Chris Kay, a Law student, said: “I wouldn’t want to turn up to lectures with helmet hair so I’d probably just walk, rather than cycle.”

Cam Young, a keen cyclist, said: “I don’t wear a helmet at the moment, and I’d only wear one if I was fined. I definitely wouldn’t otherwise.”

Road Safety Minister Stephen Hammond told the debate in Parliament that he believes that the use of cycle helmets should be promoted, but that he did not support a change in the law.