Step by Step Guide to Cooking the Perfect Christmas Dinner

Rebecca Longhurst prepares a few recipes tips for a Christmas Dinner that doesn’t break the bank.

After a fun-filled autumn term bonding with your flatmates and housemates, it’s natural to plan a festive ‘Christmas Day’ with your replacement family.

Although the state of your bank account at the end of term will probably make you cry, I’ve prepared a few recipe tips for a delicious roast dinner that won’t break the bank. They are extremely easy to follow if, like me, you are not exactly gifted in the culinary department…

The Meat

Most turkeys won’t fit into those tiny student ovens, but you can grab a bargain whole chicken at Waitrose in the evening, as these are often reduced. Simply stick your purchase in the freezer and defrost in the fridge 24 hours before you intend to cook it!

Here is a recipe adapted from Jamie Oliver’s Ministry of Food:

You Will Need:
• 1 whole chicken
• Olive oil/alternative cooking oil
• Seasoning
• 1 lemon
• Herbs of your choice

1. Preheat the oven to it’s highest temperature
2. Rub some oil onto the outside of the chicken and season with salt and pepper
3. Prick a lemon and place it in the chicken’s cavity with some herbs
4. Place the chicken into the preheated oven and turn it down immediately to 200°C/400°F/gas 6
5. Cook the chicken for approximately 1 hour 30 mins (although most chickens from Waitrose will say the time needed on the packaging)
6. Carve the chicken by removing the wings, pulling the legs off, cutting down each leg between the thigh and drumstick
7. Carve the rest of the chicken along the breastbone and pull the rest of the meat off with your fingers

The Potatoes

You Will Need:
• Roasting potatoes (2-3 per person – or more depending how hungry you are!)
• Fresh or dried rosemary
• Few cloves of garlic (unpeeled)
• Cooking oil

1. Wash and peel the potatoes
2. Cut them into chunks
3. Par-boil them on the hob for 10 minutes
4. Drain the water and vigorously shake the potatoes in a colander (this gets them crispy for later!)
5. Place them in a baking tray, drizzle with oil and some juice from the chicken you are cooking
6. Shake some rosemary over and throw in the garlic cloves
7. Cook for 40-50 mins (remember to time this with the chicken)

The Veg

A cheap way to cook vegetables is to buy a frozen pack of mixed veg and boil it on the hob for 5-10 mins. However, if you put some effort into the parsnips and carrots, they turn into a delicious treat!

You will need:
• Carrots (2 per person)
• Parsnips (1 per person)
• Honey
• Cooking oil

1. Peel and slice the carrots and parsnips into thick strips
2. Par-boil the carrots on the hob for 5 mins
3. Add the parsnips and boil for a further 5 mins
4. Place them in a baking tray, drizzle with the oil and then honey
5. Roast in the oven for 40 minutes

The Gravy

The easiest way is to buy gravy granules such as ‘Ah Bisto’ for £1.10… However making your own is more rewarding and surprisingly easy.

You will need:
• Drippings from the roast chicken (after it has cooked)
• 1 stock cube dissolved in boiling water
• Plain flour
• Salt and Pepper

1. Pour 2 tbsp of the chicken juices into a pan on medium heat on the hob
2. Stir in 2tbsp of flour until the flour has thickened and smoothed out
3. Slowly add the rest of the drippings
4. Add a stock cube dissolved in water
5. Season with salt and pepper

The Alcohol

Mulled wine, mulled wine and more … mulled wine! You can buy ready made mulled wine in bottles from any supermarket. Or, a cost-friendly alternative is to buy the cheapest red wine possible, and a mulled wine spice packet (Schwartz sell 6 sachets for £1.59). Simply heat one bottle of wine with 200 ml of water, 4 tbsp of brown sugar and 2 sachets of spice mix for 10 mins.

Follow these simple steps and this will ensure a very, merry Christmas.