Dressing for the festive season

Christmas season has arrived and with shop windows showcasing the latest in winter fashion, it’s time to dress for the party season!

The high streets are adorned with fairy lights and glistening baubles, which means the Christmas season is upon us (Yes it’s that time of the year already!). But the prospect of Christmas doesn’t just bring to mind what presents to buy, but what to wear. Whether it’s for a work Christmas party or customary family meal, winter is full of occasions to pull out those party dresses. So here’s a quick run-down of this season’s top fashions for every occasion, and how to wear them on a high street budget!

Night on the town

Sequins are a huge trend this winter.They add a touch of sparkle and are great for a party or night out. This dress from Topshop is perfect for late night Christmas clubbing with its bodycon shape and sequined top, it captures the trend perfectly without risking looking tacky. If you’re not convinced by the many top to toe sequin numbers available this season, wearing a shirt with a sequined collar, or sequin shorts gives you a more dressed down look whilst still being on trend. Accessories are also a great way to incorporate this style. This Accessorize glitter clutch would look great against a block colour dress. Whilst some stud or sequin detailing to shoes and jewellery would help to bring this seasons key trends to any outift, but in a more subtle way.

Dress £59 Topshop

Clutch £35 Accessorize

From Day to Night

If you’re not wanting to spend the last pennies of your loan on a ridiculously expensive dress you know you’ll only wear once, a simple skater dress it the perfect transitional piece. Skater dresses are huge at the minute and are so popular because the style is flattering to any figure. They look great worn causally with converse and a hoodie or dressed up for a night out with wedges and a statement necklace, not to mention they come in about every colour under the sun. This New Look version is a steal at only £9.99, but pretty much every shop and website has their own version so shop around.

Dress £9.99 New Look

Family affair

If it’s a family meal you’re heading too, or you just can’t face the frost baring all, dress down with this gorgeous Zara jumper. A winter jumper is a wardrobe essential and with the sequin detail, this one is the perfect smart/casual piece. Wear over a pair of skinny jeans and some heeled shoe boots, and you’ll stay snug whilst perfecting winter glam. You’ll kind replicas of all the more pricey items if you have a browse, and this New Look top is a great alternative for a fraction of the price.

Jumper £59.99 Zara

Top New Look £19.99

Footwear Fashion

Finally it’s time for footwear. Who doesn’t love a statement shoe and this season it’s all about the wedge. Not only will your feet last for longer in a platform than a painful stiletto but an in-style wedge can complete an outfit. Colour contrasting heels and spike detailing are key trends in footwear this season and can add interest to a more simple outfit, such as if you’re sporting a classic LBD. Shoe-boots can also prove a lifesaver in keeping your tootsies warm, and if you’re braving winter nights out, wear a sly pair of trainer socks for added comfort.

These wedges from Office are my choice for the party season, the sleek black will suit any outfit and the wedge provides added height but won’t kill your feet to walk in. But once again if you’re on a budget, New Look stock some great shoes that won’t break the bank (and don’t forget to whip out the unicard for 10% student discount).

Shoes Office £70

So that’s just a few ideas on how to wear the party looks this season. It’s all about dressing to impress and Christmas is the one time of year where you always have an excuse to dress up so make the most of it. And then we always have the Boxing day sales to look forward to!