Sandy Park to double in size

Exeter Chiefs secure permission for a multimillion pound redevelopment of their home ground.

Exeter Chiefs premiership rugby sandy park

Exeter Chiefs rugby club have received planning permission for a multimillion pound redevelopment of Sandy Park.

Sandy Park as it looks now

The plan will increase capacity at the Chiefs’ home ground from a rather paltry 10,774 to an epic 20,600, giving them the third highest capacity stadium of any of the premiership clubs.

The move befits the Chiefs’ meteoric rise from the RFU championship two years ago, to Heineken Cup rugby this campaign.

Natasha Pavis, General Manager of Sandy Park, told The Tab: “The plans for expansion are very exciting, it will mean that we are the largest conference & banqueting centre in the South West, which will certainly attract some prestigious events. The increased revenue this will bring the club will just help support our position in the Premiership for many years to come.”

The £24m extension is especially relevant for the University as several students play a major part for the Exeter Braves, the Chief’s academy side that play in the Aviva Premiership A League.

The Park’s main stand

The Chiefs have always been a student friendly club, offering a relatively cheap match experience compared to many other premiership clubs.

Exeter MP Ben Bradshaw highlighted the importance of Exeter’s economic boost from the Chiefs’ success.

He said: “The Chiefs have really helped to put Exeter on the map and it is great to see them going from strength to strength, both on the pitch and off it.”

The development is likely to take between five and seven years.

Considering the Chiefs’ current fine form who knows where they could be by then.