Messing About in Brand New Boats

As the Boat Club opens the doors to its brand new home, Duncan Head anticipates success uni rowing.

The latest in a number of developments unveiled by the University, the Exeter University Boat Club’s new facility – located in Countess Weir – was opened on Saturday after six years of waiting.

Alumnus Nicholas Bull, whose generous donation kick-started the project, was guest of honour as the sun shone over the opening of the new Nicholas Bull Boathouse.

The sun was shining for the opening

Alumni and current members gathered outside the facility on Saturday afternoon to bear witness to the opening of a facility only matched at a handful of universities. Alongside this, the AU surprised members past and present with the unveiling of five brand new boats – painted in Exeter colours – which go a long way to replenishing Exeter’s ageing fleet.

President David Rogal had known about the surprise for months, but did well to keep it a secret from the members for that amount of time. Coach Richard Tinkler was excited by the unveiling, and promised “more to come” throughout this year.

The club received five new boats

The opening of the boathouse was first discussed in 2006. After the formalities were concluded, Nicholas Bull – along with other alumni – took to the Exe Canal for one last row with the Boat Club.

The rest of the alumni mingled with current rowers, discussing triumphs past and present to ensure ties between the current club, and those that have long since left, remain strong.

As the Champagne dried up and the nibbles dwindled, those left standing on the bank watching the alumni row off down the canal slowly started to depart. For some, this was the last they would see of the club. For others, it is just the beginning of a great new chapter in the boat club’s history.