Exeter Triathletes Sprint to Success at Dawlish

The University Triathlon club is back and racing to the top of the results tables.

Five Exeter triathletes competed in the Dawlish Triathlon on Sunday 30th September. Pete Wilby of Exeter University Triathlon club, a national triathlete and the club’s swimming coach, sprinted ahead and secured a victory, closely followed by club captain Lucy Argall, who took second in the women’s open category.

It was the first ever Dawlish triathlon and the route (750m sea swim, 21.7km cycle and run 5.7km) made the most of the scenic setting and made for an exciting race.

The sea was a cold and choppy, and many of the swimmers had sea sickness to content with. The clear conditions were beneficial for the cycle, which took the athletes to Exminster and back, via Powderham Castle and Starcross.

A quick transition, where athletes made sure they had taken off their helmet and swapped cycling shoes to trainers, and the athletes ran their way through a smooth final leg towards the finish line.

Cheered on by members of the University Triathlon Club and the public alike, yesterday’s event at Dawlish spelled a successful start to the new season.