The Big Debate: Which is the Best Takeaway in Town?

We all know the score. It’s 2am and you’re in one of Exeter’s night time establishments. Those two litres of White Ace you bonged earlier are starting to wear off and you feel the distinct rumble of a stomach in search of food. Exeter is blessed with a vast array of takeaway food options we find ourselves spoiled for choice. So where do you head on your desperate forage for greasy nourishment? Debate editors Rob Ede and Louis Peacock-Young give their guide to Exeter’s takeaway treats.

dominos golden horn kfc mcdonalds mega kebab

Dominos

It seems only right to start with the true giant of Exeter's takeaway food. Most students find Dominos Pizza more useful than their personal tutor during their years at Exeter, supporting them through those long evenings in the library and picking them up after a heavy session of boozing the night before. Proximity to both campuses, the efficient delivery service, and late opening hours (soon to be 24 hour apparently) make this an early leader. The main drawback is price. Unless you have a stack of the vouchers that Dominos hand out during freshers week, you’re looking at paying upwards of £15 for one medium pizza. Ouch.

Convenience: 4/5
Quality: 4/5
Price: 1/5
Service: 4/5

Subway

Another behemoth. 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. In short, they know how to run a takeaway outlet. A huge array of options, plus plentiful seating means if you’ve been lucky enough to grab a maiden off Arena dancefloor for the evening, this represents the classiest joint to take her.

Convenience: 5/5
Quality: 4/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 3/5

Mega Kebab

Let’s face it, everyone loves a kebab. And if your missus doesn’t, she’s probably not worth keeping. If you do fancy some spinning meat you really can’t go wrong with Mega Kebab. Their winning feature is customer service; the guys there are always welcoming regardless of your level of intoxication and tend to be more generous with their meat and lettuce servings than Golden Horn. All in all probably the premier kebab joint this side of Exmouth.

Convenience: 3/5
Quality: 3/5
Price: 4/5
Service: 5/5

Burger Van Outside Timepiece

After a suitably loose social, sack off the food options within Timepiece and head towards the burger van just outside. Home of the infamous “Scooby snack”; a combination of 2 quarter-pounders, cheese, bacon and egg, it is the perfect place to soak up some of those units of alcohol. At £6, it will probably require a painful visit to the cash machine opposite and the queue can be lengthy at times, but the end product is well worth the wait.

Convenience: 4/5
Quality: 3/5
Price: 2/5
Service: 4/5

"The Holy Trinity (McDonalds, KFC and Burger King)"

All situated at the bottom end of town, these market leaders in the fast-food world continue to hold allure for drunk students. A tried and tested combo, you’ll never go wrong with a Big Mac or Bargain Bucket, yet they tend to be surprisingly more expensive than competitors and on weekdays close long before the clubs start emptying out.

Convenience: 2/5
Quality: 2/5
Price: 2/5
Service: 4/5

Golden Horn

The final stop on our run-down of takeaways. Frequented by the masses of freshers that hit Rococos on Thursdays, it's often so busy you’ll struggle to get through the door, let alone order those cheesy chips you’ve been pining for all evening. From extensive research last year we found the end-product is often rubbish; to start with the meat in their ‘chicken nuggets’ look like it hasn’t come from anything resembling poultry. They also tend to be scrounges on salad and sauces leaving us with unsatisfied stomachs and a bitter taste in the mouth.

Convenience: 4/5
Quality: 1/5
Price: 3/5
Service: 1/5

Totals:

• Dominos: 13
• Subway: 17
• Mega Kebab: 15
• Timepiece Van: 13
• “The Holy Trinity”: 10
• The Golden Horn: 10

Disagree? Comment below and we'll tuck into some feedback.