These lyrics from Taylor Swift’s Evermore just sum up being an Edi student in 2020

“Long story short, it was a bad time, long story short, I survived” is the perfect way to summarise this year

Just when we thought we were almost done with all the 2020 madness; Taylor Swift has gone and dropped a surprise album AGAIN called Evermore.

Evermore is Taylor Swift’s ninth studio album and contains 17 brand new tracks for us all cry, smile and jam out to. Taylor describes Evermore as the “sister album” to Folklore – the record she completely surprised us with back in July.

via @taylorswift on Instagram

“To put it plainly, we just couldn’t stop writing,” she said on Instagram.

“To try and put it more poetically, it feels like we were standing on the edge of the folklorian woods and had a choice: To turn and go back or to travel further into the forest of this music. We chose to wander deeper in”.

Of course, it comes as no surprise that the tracks on Evermore are absolutely stunning, with Taylor’s lyrical genius showing no sign of diminishing anytime soon. And whilst the tracks on Evermore tell the tales of failed marriage proposals, divorce, loss and even murder to name a few, there are even some lyrics which the average Edi student will find all too relatable.

So here’s a list of the greatest and most relatable lines from each song, because let’s face it, Taylor Swift just made 2020 an actual decent year.

willow

“the more you say the less I know”

When you haven’t paid attention in the past two lectures and now you have no clue what your lecturer is going on about. At least you can rewind?

via @taylorswift on Instagram

champagne problems

“Dom Pérignon you brought it, no crowd of friends applauded”

A moment of silence for anyone who missed/will miss out on a proper graduation ceremony. Genuinely gutted for you.

gold rush

“with your hair falling into place like dominoes, I see me padding across your wooden floors”

When you see a really cute boy in the library and fantasise about him taking you back to his Marchmont flat for a not-so-socially-distanced meetup.

via @taylorswift on Instagram

‘tis the damn season

“And the heart I know I’m breaking is my own, to leave the warmest bed I’ve ever known”

When you thought booking a gym sesh for 8:00am was a good idea until you tried to actually get up for it. If the sun’s not up yet, why should I be?

tolerate it

“While you were out building other worlds, where was I?”

TFW us students weren’t consulted about what we actually needed and wanted, and instead came back to a giant portacabin in the middle of Bristo Square. Seriously, does anyone even use the Scandi Bar?

via @taylorswift on Instagram

no body, no crime

“Good thing my daddy made me get a boating license when I was fifteen”

The kind of message you get from boarding school boys on Tinder when they’re trying to impress you (and failing miserably).

happiness

“In our history, across our great divide, there is a glorious sunrise”

We might’ve been cruelly ripped apart from our friends back in March, but we came back in September and picked up right where we left off. Honestly, there’s no group of people I would rather go through 14 days of isolation with.

dorothea

“A tiny screen’s the only place I see you now, and I got nothing but well-wishes for ya”

Online learning and tutorials might not be ideal, but at least we can still appreciate our attractive tutor from the comfort of our own homes.

via @taylorswift on Instagram

coney island

“Wondering where did my baby go? The fast times, the bright lights, the merry go”

Just want Hive back tbh.

ivy

“What would he do if he found us out? Crescent moon, coast is clear”

Sneaking into your mate’s flat for a late night sesh hoping that Peter Mathieson doesn’t find out.

The video for willow has already dropped and I can’t even

cowboy like me

“Never wanted love just a fancy car”

Let’s be real, this is the main reason girls agree to go on dates with boys from the home counties. It’s certainly not for the mullets.

long story short

“Long story short, it was a bad time, long story short, I survived”

Does anything sum up 2020 more?

Baby just said yes

marjorie

“And I complained the whole way there, the car ride back and up the stairs”

The actual struggle of having to move out of first year halls and into your second year flat ON THE TOP FLOOR.

closure

“I’m fine with my spite, and my tears, and my beers and my candles”

The answer you give when someone asks how you’re holding up with online uni. I’m fine I swear.

I don’t think you understand, I’m obsessed

evermore

“Hey December, guess I’m feeling unmoored”

Let’s just say that this semester has been a long one, and we all need a well-deserved Christmas break.

Related articles recommended by this writer:

These are the very best lyrics from Taylor Swift’s Folklore which just sum up uni life

• What your favourite Taylor Swift album says about your general Edi vibe

• Ok so what does it mean to be ‘cottagecore’ and why do I relate to it so hard?