Asymptomatic Covid testing has started at Edinburgh University

There are two testing centres open

Asymptomatic testing for university students in Edinburgh has started today.

The lateral flow tests are available from November 30th to December 9th at Pleasance Sports Complex and the Main Games Hall in St Leanard’s Land.

The university said in a press release: “The programme – running in partnership between the University of Edinburgh and other Scottish universities, the Scottish Government and NHS Test and Protect – supports students leaving their termtime accommodation to travel home at the end of term for the winter break and protect the wider community.”

The tests are available to students from these universities: Edinburgh University, Edinburgh Napier, Queen Margaret University, and SRUC.

The university also said: “In addition to limiting social mixing for two weeks prior to going home, testing will help to break the chain of transmission amongst students, especially when they are infected but are not aware of it, and help to ensure the safety of their loved ones.”

Elena, a fourth year English Literature and History student at Edinburgh University, took a test this morning.

She told The Tab Edinburgh: “From booking to taking the test I found the process pretty seamless.

“There was a large queue outside but everyone was socially distancing and wearing masks, and once inside the test itself took less than five minutes and was really well organised.

“I was surprised to receive my negatives result less than half an hour after I had left the test centre.”

Photo credits: Neil Hanna 

Related articles recommended by this writer:

Only 60 per cent of Edi students say they’ll get tested before going home for Xmas

Uni of Edi are only offering pre-Christmas Covid tests until the 9th of Dec

Students in Scotland will be offered Covid tests before they go home for Christmas