Edi Uni spent over two and a half million pounds on the refurbishment of Bristo Square

It’s the most expensive skatepark in the world

Hide Images

The University of Edinburgh spent over two and a half million pounds on the refurbishment of Bristo Square.

They invested in McEwan Hall to repair the building fabric, upgrade the service installations and resolve its accessibility issues.

A Freedom of Information request by The Tab has revealed that the University of Edinburgh spent precisely £2,616,568 on the refurbishment. This included the planting of new trees, the creation of more social space, and general work being carried out to improve the accessibility of the building.

The work started on McEwan Hall and Bristo Square started in April 2015 and finished in July last year.

In the response to the FOI request, the university said: "The works reflect the quality of the materials used and the design standards required to satisfy necessary approvals from Historic Environment Scotland and City of Edinburgh Council Planning, to meet standards within the Edinburgh World Heritage site."

They added that "the total cost of soft and hard landscape services relating to the McEwan Hall project is £2,616,568."