The Tab tries: RAG Lost Weekend

The Tab’s own Ellie Byrne competes in RAG’s Lost Weekend Challenge.

Recently a team from The Tab entered the much anticipated ‘Lost Weekend’ scavenger hunt ran by Edinburgh RAG with all proceeds going directly to Save the Children. The aim: get as many of the challenges into as fewer disposable camera exposures as possible…in 24 hours.

As soon as we saw the list we knew we were in for a tough time. Challenges included: reaching Stirling Castle, getting into a room at the Balmoral, getting a tattoo and swimming in a body of water. It wasn’t going to be an easy ride. But not a team to be disheartened we headed straight off from Teviot at 12 and jumped on a train to Glasgow .

Our tactical planning paid off. We managed to get a photo that encompassed 6 challenges in one! Getting a photo in George Square, with a conga line of 10 people, a group hug with a stranger, whilst eating a deep fried pizza, holding a frying pan and our team mascot Tab the Panda.

We make friends fast.

Spurred on by our early success we challenged ourselves to go for the big pointers. Our next stop was Stirling, where we got up to the castle with a kilt and our mascots, and then got behind a bar to pull a couple of cheeky ciders before heading off again.

Proper Scotland.

Just time for a swift one.

Our tour of Scotland didn’t stop there. The highly regarded St. Andrews challenge was next on our list and we made it to West Sands in good time for a quick (well really not so quick) slow mo Chariots of Fire jog.

After making a detour on the Forth Road Bridge, and one member contemplating a dip in the Forth, we made it back to Edinburgh by 9:30, where after a speedy costume change it was time for a massive night at PROW.

However, our jubilations were short lived and after regretting a couple too many VKs at Potterow, we were frogmarched by one member of the team out of our flat at 9am (on a maximum 3 hours sleep) to complete all the Edinburgh based challenges.

Piercing, tattoo, leg waxing & cross dressing in Claire’s Accessories.

‘Go to another country’ Points for originality at least?

By 12 o clock it was time to head back to Teviot to hand in our cameras. Unwashed, battered and bruised, one with newly pierced ears, one with a rather fetching 1D tattoo (not even joking) and the other two just looking very dishevelled, we reached the New Amphion where it was time to collapse with our other competitors.
The rest of the day is a bit of a blur. Whether we’ll win? I’m not sure, but walking back through the Meadows feeling triumphant of a weekend well spent and all for a good cause.

Check out /edinburghrag on Facebook for upcoming events including Race 2 Paris – Nov 8th/9th, Jailbreak & RAG week both next semester.

And remember, it’s all for charity!