Five ways to incorporate the latest fashion trends into your Durham Uni wardrobe

‘A pop of red’, sheer fabrics and leopard print: Five fashion trends that are relevant to Durham students

With the new university year now in full swing, we thought it was time to turn to the runways and top name fashion houses to find inspiration for our wardrobe for the new season. Whether you’re heading for a trip to the Billy B, brunch at Riverview or Jimmy’s on a Friday night, here are five ways you can rock the latest trends this winter, without breaking the bank.

1. Leopard print

Leopard print has probably taken over your TikTok “For You” page over the last few months, and it’s not going anywhere. From the viral low-rise jeans all the way to the runways, we can assure you, it’s here to stay.

These relaxed leopard print trousers are the perfect way to get some leopard print into your wardrobe. Whether paired with a sleek black top for a night out or a casual tee for a coffee, these trousers allow you to embrace your wild side while staying comfortable and effortlessly stylish.

2. Oxblood red

You’ve probably heard the long-standing phrase “a pop of red”, and this year, it’s making a comeback. Deep red tones and Oxblood are set to be the colour of the season, perfect for adding a little bit of sophistication. Whether through accessories like bags, scarfs or bold boots, these shades offer a striking way to elevate any outfit.

Though a bit more of a splurge, this bag is the ultimate companion for those long library sessions. Its perfecting for fitting your laptop and your study essentials. It’s the ideal investment piece that will not only exalt your style but also keep you organized for the year ahead.

Alternatively add a pop of red with some sleek footwear. These shoes are the perfect, affordable everyday trainers. With minimalist design, they can be paired with any outfit and worn for any occasion.

3. Sheer fabrics

Want to turn heads on your next night out? Stars are showing that sheer fabrics are the way to do it. Perfect for everyone, as sheer details come in so many different styles to suit everyone, so you can be both chic and comfortable on Durham’s most iconic dance floors.

This gorgeous cami from Free People is sure to catch eyes in Durham’s favourite night spots. With its sleek fit and fun details, it’s perfect for a night out. The sheer back adds just the right touch of fun while keeping things effortlessly cool. Pair it with your favourite jeans and you’ve got your next night out look sorted.

Or, if you prefer something a bit more covered, this long-sleeve number from NA-KD is another great option. With its flattering fit, it’s perfect for those cooler nights out. The long sleeves add an elegant touch while keeping things fun. Add some statement accessories and you’re ready to hit Durham’s top spots in style.

4. Brown Bags

Once the chaos of freshers begins to calm, the club nights might begin to slow, but the fashion won’t. if red isn’t your thing, chocolate brown bags might offer as a good alternative. Suede or leather, here are some perfect totes to keep all your essentials safe.

I’m sure you’ve noticed the Goyard tote trend taking over, with girls everywhere rocking the iconic design. Why not join in with this chic brown dupe? It offers the same luxe look without the hefty price tag, making it a budget-friendly alternative. Perfect for those who want to stay on-trend without breaking the bank.

5. Fur, feather and fluff

As we head into the deepest depths of the northern English winter, we all know the importance of wrapping up warm. Being in Durham, I don’t think we can thank the fashion gods enough that fluffy and soft textures are now dominating runways. It’s the perfect excuse to bundle up and be super cosy, protected from the north’s freezing winter.

This grey cropped faux-fur jacket from New Look is a perfect example of how to nail the fuzzy texture trend this season. Its cropped design adds a modern, flattering twist to the classic faux-fur coat. Whether you’re braving Durham’s chilly mornings or heading out for a night with friends, this jacket is sure to keep you warm while elevating your winter style.