Grow a mo, save a bro: Movember is back and this is why Durham students should participate

With nine days to go until the biggest charity month of the year, Movember ambassadors explain why you should sign up

We’re fortunate in Durham to be surrounded by such an incredible culture of charity. Not only do we boast the largest student-led charity fashion show in Europe, we also raised £96,183 for various admirable causes through two student boxing events, Wilder Fight Night and Aggression Sessions. If you didn’t know, we’re also pretty good at raising money for Movember. I’m very proud to call myself an ambassador for the charity.

In case you’ve never heard of Movember, here’s a little bit of background information. The charity was founded in Australia, 21 years ago, by a group of mates that decided to grow some terrible taches to raise some money for charity – it has since exploded into a global craze whereby people put themselves out of their comfort zones, both to raise money and to get men talking about their mental and physical health.

Last year, Durham students raised a collective total of £84,212 for the prostate cancer charity, placing Durham comfortably in the top five universities across the UK. Following on from this resounding success, Movember Durham want to raise £100,000 this year. Hatfield College Rugby Football Club (HCRFC) raised the most money last year with £14,060.69, while other such as Durham University Cricket Club (DUCC), Grey College Rugby Football Club (GCRFC) and Durham University Rugby Football Club (DURFC) all raised well in excess of £5,000.

Eight Durham students also raised over £1,000 individually last year: Jack Bell (who has raised £12,600 since 2021), Henry Warren, Joe Strong, Robbie Dodsworth, Rishi Tanna and Ciaran Durkan, Ciaran Long and Oliver Richardson (final three in combination together). These individuals demonstrate that through hard graft, commitment and testing your limits, it is very possible to make a considerable difference.

A common misconception of Movember is that it is only for men. Growing a moustache is not the only way to participate, you can also create your own challenges – often, people choose to complete outdoor challenges such as hikes or long distance runs. Movember is an accessible platform, and the involvement of women is really important to its success – improved physical and mental health in men also has positive impacts on women, it does not have to be a case of one or the other.

Whilst you can raise money as an individual, we recommend doing it as part of a collective. The most popular way to do this is through a sport or society, but it is also an option to get a group of mates together and create a team affiliated with Durham.

Matt Tidd, my fellow Durham ambassador, summarised to The Tab why Durham students should participate: “As a society/club, you have the opportunity to make a real impact by signing up as a team to Movember and starting to raise money collectively. Whether that be growing a Mo as a team or doing a different type of challenge, everyone can get involved and get fundraising. 

“We are also here to support you every step of the way. We can provide assistance with social media posts, guidance on how to sign up, a handbook with helpful tips, and resources to help you run successful fundraising activities. 

“If you are not yet convinced here are some statistics from Movember to show why you should get involved:  92 per cent of those surveyed post Movember agreed they felt happier and healthier as a result of taking part in Movember, 91 per cent agreed they felt more positive about their university experience as a result of supporting Movember and 73 per cent said that taking part in Movember motivated them to take some time to improve their mental health. 

“Movember values include making a difference, having fun, and changing the face of men’s health. Together, we can embody these values and work towards a common goal. Additionally, societies and clubs can compete against each other to see who can raise the most money, adding a fun and competitive spirit to the challenge. Moreover, Durham University can compete against other universities to showcase our collective fundraising efforts.”

For more information, contact [email protected] or [email protected].