If every Durham college were a Halloween costume, this is what it would be

Your college, your costume (a pretty bad day to be in Hatfield)

With Halloween drawing near, this is the unofficial guide to dressing according to your college stereotypes and vibes:

Collingwood: Undead Jocks

Collingwood is already known for its sport and gym obsession, so undead sportspeople is sort of a no-brainer. If any college was so committed to sports that they literally return from the dead for another game, it would be Collingwood. This one is good because you can dress in whichever sportswear you like and still understand the assignment: all you need is some fake blood – and maybe white contacts if you’re feeling extra.

Grey: Ghosts

Despite being a very convenient college to be at with quite a good bar, Grey is perpetually forgotten and underestimated. Grey would be embracing their reputation as a bland and unremarkable college by being ghosts this Halloween, plus it’s an easy costume with many possible variations. For instance, the Ghost of Christmas Past has major Grey vibes with its flaming mascot and general ghoulishness…

Hatfield: Slytherin

All you need is a green scarf, Hogwarts uniform, robe, and wand – no attitude change required. Hatfield exudes major Slytherin vibes – so much so that I gave them the Harry Potter costumes over the more obvious choice. Hatfield should embrace their sly, serpentine reputation this Halloween by dressing up as Hogwarts’ worst house.

John Snow: Game of Thrones

This one wrote itself, to be honest. It is only right that Jon [sic] Snow students dressed in fur cloaks, monologuing about existential despair, and holding a fake sword – or Targaryen-style silver wigs, and long floaty dresses – this Halloween.

Josephine Butler: Katniss Everdeen and Peeta Mellark

As the furthest college up the hill – plus its proximity to the forest – Josephine Butler is essentially District 12. The accommodation, surrounding a big grassy mound, sort of resembles a Hunger Games arena, making Katniss and Peeta – or any other characters from the franchise – a fitting choice.

South: Sims

After trying very hard to think of a costume that perfectly embodies South, the Sims seemed the only costume anywhere near. South students could walk around with the iconic green plumbobs floating above their heads, making random, exaggerated gestures, speaking Simlish, freezing every so often, or waving their arms in frustration because they ‘can’t reach the door.’ Sims 4-inspired costumes would embody the whole “so new and shiny they’re basically a simulation” feel.

St. Aidan’s: Rainbow Magic Fairies

Honestly, I had no clue. Aidan’s identity as the Rainbow college or as the college with loads (and loads) of stairs doesn’t really translate all that well into a Halloween costume. Rainbow Magic fairies would work pretty well, considering – you can wear whatever you want with some wings. Plus, this would be quite fun as a group costume for your Halloween bar crawl.

St. Chad’s and St. Cuth’s: Shrek or Fiona

If you somehow haven’t noticed, Chad’s and Cuth’s really (really) like the colour green, so Shrek costumes definitely suit. Plus, I just feel that they radiate the eccentric, slightly swampy vibe required for pulling off this costume. Bonus points if you make your college children nightmarish baby Shreks.

St. Hild & St. Bede: Coraline

The strange, slightly detached, aloof vibes of Hild Bede really suit Coraline-inspired costumes. Dressed up as Coraline characters, – or just button-eyed versions of themselves, for ease – Hild Bede would certainly be embracing their (slightly unjustified) reputation as a far-away, elusive Other World. You get a gold star if you dress as April and Miriam, the most iconic duo in the film.

St. John’s: Lana del Rey and her alligator husband

The obvious suggestion is nuns or priests, but, for reasons entirely unknown to me, John’s mascot is a crocodile and I simply couldn’t resist. In celebration of Lana’s marriage to the alligator-tour man this September, St. John’s students should consider wearing vintage white dresses and daisies or alligator costumes.

St. Mary’s: Sirens

Based on Mary’s unshakeable reputation as the ‘catfish college’, take this as an umbrella term for all the characters who seemed innocent and sweet but ultimately harboured a darker edge– like Lotso from Toy Story 3 or Esther from Orphan. Equally, actual sirens would make for pretty cool costumes…

Stephenson: Thomas the Tank Engine

If my memory serves me correctly, Stephenson’s bar has ‘platforms’ and is themed around trains. In terms of college pride, dressing up as a famous train is genuinely a must. Besides, going out on Halloween as a train may subconsciously give you extra momentum for chugging up that god-forsaken hill at the end of the night.

Trevelyan: Jesters

Unfortunately, it is quite difficult to go as a hexagon for Halloween, so after uncountable jokes about Trevelyan’s ‘unique’, ‘modern castle’-inspired architecture, it would be great to see Trevs students lean into the absurd and go as court jesters. These are just pretty fun costumes that can be done in so many ways, so would be good to see in 2024.

University: Knights

As the quintessential Durham college, with its gowns, history, and traditions, and literal Norman castle, University college absolutely has to be knights in shining armour. There are so many ways this can be done, whether by replicating traditional armour or doing a take on it with metallics, glitter, and chains.

Van Mildert: Donald or Daffy Duck

To an outsider, the extent of Van Mildert’s college identity is the gargantuan, slightly ratchet pond surrounding it. In light of this, Van Mildert students may wish to dress as Daffy, Daisy, or Donald duck this All Hallow’s Eve. Any famous duck applies.

Ustinov: Old People

As Durham’s only postgrad college, Ustinov students may be inclined to lean into the ‘old and wise’ stereotype this Halloween. This one is a little broad, but could include Gandalf, Dumbledore, or even (the wicked and evil) Grandpa Joe.