Image may contain: Bench, Suit, Overcoat, Coat, Clothing, Graduation, Person, People, Human

Durham PhD student charged for spying by the UAE government

They claim he was only pretending to be an academic

Matthew Hedges, a Durham postgraduate student, has been charged with allegations of spying whilst on a research trip to UAE.

In the early hours of this morning, UAE government officials said: "The attorney general of United Arab Emirates confirmed today that Matthew Hedges, a British citizen, has been charged with spying for and on behalf of a foreign state, jeopardising the military, economy and political security of the UAE."

They further allege that Hedges was not an academic researcher, but was merely posing as one in order to obtain sensitive data.

News of Hedges's detainment broke yesterday after his wife gave a statement to The Times in which she expressed concern for her husband’s mental health.

The 31-year-old was compiling data for his PhD on the security of the Arab Peninsula in the wake of the Arab Spring.

The Foreign Office has given a statement claiming that they are working towards his release.