Meet the new self-confessed big lads on campus

These DURFC lads mean business

With the start of Michaelmas term quickly approaching, DURFC is hosting the annual charity match curtain raiser on the 4th October against Bath, at the Durham City home ground.

Durham University has, over the past ten years, been raising funds for the charity Sport in Action Zambia. Their work consists of engaging young people in sport, often in the most deprived communities of Zambia, whilst teaching them valuable life skills.

After finishing 4th in the league last year and painfully going out in the quarter-final stages of the cup, DURFC is looking to push on this year and achieve great things. Here is a quick look at a few players who are sure to make a big impact.

Justin Clegg aka ‘MC Devvo’

Returning from an impressive stint with the England U20s in Georgia last summer, Justin is hoping to take this good form into the new season. The self-proclaimed small and skinny second row is aiming for perfection in every match, evident from the fact that his most embarrassing moments playing rugby are losing lineouts. Not many people know that he placed 4th in the U14s North Midlands Yu Gi Oh Championship, but you’ll most likely find him practising his card skills in Grey's college bar.

Tristan Rawcliffe aka ‘Alvin’

Tristan is looking forward to the charity match and the rest of the season, despite being terrified of the effect this article will have on his ‘brand’. Known for keeping a cool head, this was not the case in his early days of playing. His most embarrassing moment playing was attempting to kick someone, missing, but still receiving a red card. In his spare time, Tristan will most likely be relaxing, reminiscing about being runner-up in the East Anglian U13 Pole Vault Competition and what could have been.

Charlie Norman aka ‘Jonah’

Devastated by the death of Loveshack, Charlie is hoping to forget his troubles with a strong performance in the charity game. The reverse fixture last year was one to forget for Charlie as he hit the post from a penalty kick which would have got Durham into the semi-finals. Nevertheless, he has put this in the past and has been training hard in pre-season, a testament to his character. If not on the rugby pitch, you’ll probably find Charlie desperately trying to make his way onto the DU fashion show catwalk.

Max Hayes aka ‘Hodor’

Next, we take a look at Max, a seasoned veteran of DURFC who is looking to put in a big shift this year. Most likely to be found in the 24hour Tesco continuing his never-ending bulking phase, Max is looking forward to getting stuck in with the lads for what proves to be a tough season. Although he is quite the physical specimen, he insists that inside he is cuddly and furry, comparing himself to Andrew Sheridan because of his size and ability to play the guitar. If on a night out, you’ll probably find him in the DSU, enjoying a lovely Strawberry Daiquiri.

Ben Fowles aka ‘Hugo Etherington’

Likening himself to Jerome Kaino, Ben hopes he can bring his determined, unafraid character to all future games. His worst experience playing rugby was throwing up in a ruck after a bit too much Lucozade pre-game, a situation he hopes to avoid in the future. Being a fresher, he hasn’t had much time to explore Durham but is eager to experience university life.

We wish these lads the best of luck, and know this isn't the last time we'll hear their names this year.