The official Durham guide to smoking areas

The where and why for bad lungs

There is something irresistible about spending most of the night outside the club rather than in it, probably because it’s the only way to actually talk to a chirpse. Nevertheless, some are better than others at setting the scene.

KluteThe Klute smoking area is a world apart from the grimy interior of the club. Klute may be the worst nightclub in Europe, but the smoking area is undeniably one of the most scenic in Durham. With waterfront views, that you admittedly can’t see in the dark, fairy lights and an outdoor bar with heaters, it’s no wonder people spend half their night escaping the clammy dance floor and enjoying the vibe of the smoking area.

Fabio’sThe Fabio’s rooftop terrace is Durham’s most intimate smoking area. You’re guaranteed to find your friends if you agree to make it the meeting point for the night. Let’s face it, you’re bound to lose someone at the bar, if not that one friend who insists on swinging around on the pole inside the bar. It’s ok if that friend is you. The hundreds of stairs that need to be climbed to make it to Fabio’s are a struggle for those with smoker’s lungs, but the patio area is worth the pain.

LoveshackLet’s be honest, you’re basically still in Loveshack with the huge window keeping you in contact with the inner world and the booming music. The smoking area is usually packed, so you never lose that feeling of bumping into people while dancing; it’s just an extension of the dance floor. The disadvantage of this is that your chances of getting burnt by rogue floating ash are heightened, but who doesn’t like a bit of risk. You also feel immensely smug when you see all the people queuing to get into the club while you enjoy it.

Jimmy A’s

Some people might not even know this exists. Hidden under the bridge and down a treacherous flight of stairs lies the Jimmy’s smoking area. The huge Jimmy’s maze with plenty of areas where it’s possible to have a conversation means that the smoking area’s never usually as full as it’s club counterparts. This has clear benefits, with it being full of dark corners, for doing dark deeds. Again though, this does just add to the creepy vibe you get from knowing you’re down by the river under a dark bridge, in an area mildly reminiscent of a murder scene.

Lloyds

Loveshack’s twin, only with more wood panelling. We all know you’re only here because you have that friend who’s too cheap to stump up the entrance fee for Loveshack. You can see those in Loveshack having a better time than you and the only reason you’re not there is because Becca from one of your tutorials couldn’t afford Jagerbombs otherwise. You don’t even like her that much but you won’t say anything because, you know, you’re a good person.

Loft/StudioUnless smoking area means street, I have yet to find it – probably because you spend the whole night trying to figure out if you’re in Loft or Studio (or Union?). The only thing worse than the quality of their smoking area is the off-brand Jäger they use at Cheapskates. On the plus side, at least the smoking area and queue is always in such chaos that you can easily sneak in.