EXCLUSIVE: Loveshack smoking area to become “My House”

It includes a coffee shop

The Tab can exclusively reveal all the details on the first stage of the Loveshack refurb.

The first stage of the works, due to be complete in March of this year, mean the current Loveshack will be divided into two venues: Loveshack and a new venue called ‘My House.’

‘My House’ will be situated at the front of the current Loveshack property, where the current smoking area is. The bar and kitchen will be open during the day, serving food and coffee “as well as some brand new, innovative cocktails and products.”

Potentially a rival to The Slug, ‘My House’ will also host its own events and live acts, and “will have a separate DJ and music policy to Loveshack.”

Debbie Corbett, the Loveshack General Manager told The Tab: “Loveshack is now into its tenth year of trade. Loveshack has done us proud over the years, we have hosted some unforgettable nights and events, but all good things must come to an end and we realise that it’s now time to update the décor and move with the times.

“Using the space at the front during the day is an amazing idea and the plans for the new build are very exciting. We can’t wait until it’s completed and I’m sure you will all love the finished article.”

The rest of the venue will still remain as Loveshack until the second phase of the refurb, due in early 2017. At that time the “club will be getting a makeover and a name change” but will still remain a nightclub.

The Loveshack group stress that at no point during any stage of the refurb will Loveshack be closed during term time, as most of the work done will take place during the holidays.

News of the refurb is  going down well with Durham students. Joe Speller, a JoBo fresher, told The Tab: “It sounds like a good idea, the plans look much nicer than what’s there at the moment.”