69-year-old man dies after falling into river suffering a medical condition

An air ambulance landed on Palace Green

A 69-year-old man fell into the river this morning after suffering a medical condition

An air ambulance pronounced him dead at the scene before airlifting him to hospital.

Durham Constabulary and fire and ambulance crews were called to an incident on the river bank between the DSU and the Prebends Bridge at 8.25am today.

Credit: Charlie Mason

Early indications say he suffered a medical condition and fell down the bank into the water.

The man’s condition when he was removed from the river is unclear.

He was rescued by members of the public, who administered basic life support before ambulance crews arrived and a helicopter landed on Palace Green.

A message was spread round to all rowing crews at around 10am saying nobody would be permitted on the river until at least midday while the situation was dealt with.

Credit: Charlie Mason

A spokesman for Durham constabulary said: “Early indications are that a 69-year-old suffered a medical condition and fell down the bank and into the water.

“He was rescued by members of the public and emergency crews and was taken to hospital in a serious condition.”

A spokesman for the Air Ambulance added: “He was removed from the water by passers by who administered basic life support until ambulance crews arrived.

“Despite continuous attempts to resuscitate the gentleman, he was pronounced dead at scene. GNAAS [Greater North Air Ambulance Service] would like to thank all the members of the public who came to the assistance of the gentleman.”