Locals and students unite for art exhibition

Does it get more Durham? Art, wine and red chinos

noad

In recent weeks you might think that there is a growing rift between locals and the wider student body. The new drinking rules rammed home this perception.

But in this tense environment, Matthew Gilmour established the Durham University Arts Exhibition that brought seven student and fifteen local artists together in one show.

Can it get more Durham? (Photo: Alasdair Harriss)

Hosted in Hild Bede, the event was attempting both a cultural exercise, as well as an opportunity to raise money for a local cancer survivor group, as chosen by the artists themselves.

Look at those coloured chinos. (Photo: Alasdair Harriss)

Matthew told The Tab: “It’s a great way to get the students involved in local art and giving something new to the Durham scene. It isn’t just Klute or Jimmy’s but here you can come and have a civilized drink and have a chat, get involved and meet new people.

“I feel that’s what we are offering here today and we’ve sold over 50 pieces, the most expensive being £250.

“So it’s an opportunity to get local artists and students interacting.”

This is what art looks like. (Photo: Alasdair Harriss)

These people got drunk for free.

The art featured included line drawings, easel work as well as a piece covered in things washed up from the sea.

When asked what type of art Matthew didn’t like he said: “Art that doesn’t make me money.”

Matthew ain’t a fan.

One student artist, Ellie Littlewood, is a first year Geographer: “I want to be a housewife in the future, but at the moment I use my spare time to create art and it keeps me going.

“I’ve sold three pieces: they’re drawings of root vegetables.”

The Tab like free alcohol events. (Photo: Alasdair Harriss)

It is hoped the event will return next year, raising funds for a different charity.