Team of the week: DUSC

Durham’s sailors have regularly been making waves across the country, and this season has been no different…

Despite horrendous weather this year and all bar one member having left the 1st and 2nd squads from last year, DUSC have battled the elements to produce some fine performances.

Notable performances came at the University of London’s ‘London Duck’ and Bristol Uni’s ‘Bristol Brew,’ seeing the 1st Team finish 2nd and 3rd University side respectively.

The DUSC 1st Team after BUSA Playoffs, finishing 3rd.

A healthy intake of freshers has helped to reinstall fresh competition within the squad (and a severe inability to win any inter-uni strawpedo race, thank you Eve “I’m from Castle you know” Smith…) and such a strong season so far leaves promising signs for the coming years.

The experience of James ‘JCB’ Cunnison and Rob ‘Your Highness’ Tolcher must be noted however for ensuring focus and composure has been kept throughout the season.

Last weekend, the 1st team travelled to Birmingham to compete in BUSA Playoffs. With a tentative first day, winning only 5 races from 8, concentration and speed on the water picked up with Durham 1sts finishing in 3rd behind Cambridge and Plymouth, despite beating both these sides on the water.

BUSA Finals take place in Strathclyde over Easter and the team will be striving for a Top 4 finish against all the preseason odds.

Sailing: Tick; Golf: Work in progress.

Yachting and match racing have taken similar hits with all but two sailors graduating last year. The new-look match racing team competed well in the RYA Under 22 Championships and have similarly high hopes of success at BUSA Finals in Weymouth this Easter.

The yachting team are now fresh from Christmas yachting and squad trials. Working with a team of exceptional coaches the sailors were put through their paces both on and off the water.

Heavy sailing days on the water were accompanied by equally heavy socials in the evening where the newly formed teams got to know each other.

The yachting team taking a break during a long day of training in the Solent

After BUSA Finals, Easter and Exams, Summer Sailing kicks off with inter-collegiate events being held, and RYA courses and taster sessions being run for all who are interested.

Last year saw over 100 beginners travel to Derwent to enjoy the sun, water, barbeque and copious amounts of Pimms. The club has grand plans to beat the record numbers seen previously, so look out for details being sent out on Facebook and through email soon!

Best of luck to DUSC 1st Team in their travels to Strathclyde, as well as the Yachting and Match Racing Squads who both feature in BUSA Finals over Easter along the South Coast.

DUSC would like to extend their thanks to sponsors Sperry Topsider, Invasion Travels and Americamp for their continued support of the past year.

Follow the team on Twitter here: @DurhamSailing