Tab5: Director of the ‘Importance of being Earnest’

Two hours before Ooook! opens The Assembly Room’s doors for the opening night of The Importance of Being Earnest, Andrew Earnshaw gave the director, Kate, a quick call to answer 5 short questions about her latest baby…

Why Earnest and why Wilde?

“I’ve personally always loved Wilde and I wanted to bring it to life. It has fantastic word play and it still resonates today. It’s really a timeless play. Sharp wit is the main selling point.”

“Face it, you’ll never be as suave as this chap”

Tell Me About Your Four Lead Actors

“Oo! I’m extremely excited. We’ve got four excellent leads. First of all though I have to say we had a huge number of auditions, really spoilt for choice. Overwhelmed by the response. It was really hard to pick.

“Our two male leads are actually both 3rd Years. Very experienced guys who’ve done shows with Ooook! before. However, I’m new to directing and so I wasn’t aware of this. I came in with an unbiased eye, well, I like to think I did anyway. They’re both really excellent and I like that they’re the same age.

“However, both our two girls are 1st Years. We’ve got all that experience alongside new talent. I like the mix of different groups. I know it’s quite arbitrary and shouldn’t really matter but we’ve got cast members from every single year and I really like the fact we’ve got that variety of people.

“Also, on the subject of the cast we’ve got a fantastically snooty Gwendolyn and Phillipe as Algernon, well, you’ll see.”

So I’ve read and heard many people call Earnest ‘the perfect play’, or at least flawless. What are your thoughts on that?

“Wow, that’s really tough. The perfect play. It’s difficult, the idea of perfection in theatre. It’s the perfect farce!

“I mean, you can look deeper but the main point is its aim to please. It’s not there to shock. Well, not anymore. Of course it really did subvert the expectations of the time. Really undermines the notion of marriage in tricky but funny ways.

“However now, I don’t really think it needs to be subversive anymore because of the humour.”

Is there anything special about the production?

“Well we have really stuck to the script. I didn’t want to take it out of context. The newness will come with the actors who are just superb.  We do have a fantastic set which will also bring something new.

“I really tried to look at the play afresh and play with it, but within the limits. The production doesn’t need to break boundaries – Wilde’s already done that.

“One thing we’ve not talked about yet is Lady Bracknell. She’s not a lead, but for me she really is the fifth main character. She is crucial. You’ll have heard the handbag line a thousand times before but the way our Lady Bracknell says… I’m not going to tell you. However she is slightly new and very inspired. You’ll just have to come see for yourself!”
5. Well, I like to end on three words. It’s quite cliché but can you sell your play in three words to bring people in over the next few days?

“Wow, that’s really tough. Erm, cucumber? No, hmm, another form of food. I know!”

After much mumbling, umming, aaing and a whole host of other strange noises:

“Muffins.
Perfection.
Celibacy.”

So there we are! It looks like we’re going to have a fantastic play in residence over the next few days. Watch this space for the review of opening night. 

Watch the trailer!