Where are all the lesbians?

It’s week 3 of Flo’s column and there’s just one thing on her mind at the moment – where on earth are all of Durham’s lesbians? She went to see if she could find them over coffee, board games and on a boat.

I see my sexuality as pretty fluid. If you forced me to pin it down I’d probably say I was bisexual/pansexual/trysexual/don’t-care-about-your-genitals-sexual.

One of the things that surprised me about my recent Tinder experience was the number of attractive ladies I have been matched with. I can count on one hand the amount of lesbians I’ve met at Durham, so where have they all been hiding?

Fighting for my gay side – pre-Durham.

Since coming to Durham, all the way back in 2010, my gay side has been put on the backburner. I just haven’t met that many girls that like girls. Sometimes I wonder if my lack of lady success in the bubble is because Durham is such shit place to be gay, with its conservative population and lack of nightlife options. Maybe all the lesbians chose Bristol.

I have given the LGBTA association a go, but we’ve not always got along. Personally, I feel like the LGBTA shy away from the fact that everyone goes there to find someone to shag.

Me at 11, looking much more gay than I do now…

For example, I have never been to their “bisexual coffee” weekly events. As I have no interest in sleeping with or meeting other bisexuals specifically.

Maybe I’m missing out and this is a code word for an orgy. If it is, please someone tell me.

I have never been to one of their board game nights, as I’ve always found it hard to pull over scrabble. These events might be great for people who are struggling with their sexuality or want more rainbow friends, but not so great for homosexuals on a dry spell.

A drunken picture from Freshers which is funny…and fitting.

In my last year of university I thought it would only be fair to give them one last shot. Last Monday two gays, two straight guys and yours truly went to the LGBTA Halloween party – Shipwrecked. It was so much fun.

Shipwrecked is held on the Prince Bishops Boat, but due to the recent storm the river was too high for the boat to actually go anywhere. So it was more like a very drafty village hall than a boat.

The standard of costume was, as you would expect, fabulous and the dance floor was in full swing by 9pm. These people know how to party.

The only gays in the village that I know of, come on, where are you?

Maybe it was that I was in a room full of people where the only thing we have in common is the fact that we have had an awkward conversation with our parents at some point. Maybe the wine was delicious. Or maybe the non-storm went to my head.

Whatever it was I got too drunk. I didn’t see any of my tinder matches, or really talk to many new lesbians; I had a great night, spent £25 in 3 hours and was in bed by 11 on my own. Maybe next time I’ll try out the board games.

Partying in a drafty (floating) village hall, nonetheless a great night.