The Best Loos on Campus

The Tab went in search of what Durham has to offer in terms of where to spend the most sacred of all alone time, as Granny would say, where you go to spend a penny…

Ever wondered? Probably.

Here’s The Tab’s round up of the most notable bathrooms around campus:

Library – The New Section

Beautiful

Appearance: 8

Cleanliness: 7

Light, airy, shiny black surfaces, and with a good set of mirrors to satisfy any vanity needs. However, being so attractive and in prime library position, they do get their fair share of usage. This is not so great if you don’t want to share a bathroom with the entire student population. Small queues are also an occurrence.

Library – The Middle Staircase

Antique

Appearance: 3

Cleanliness: 8

It has to be said, they’re not the prettiest place to pee. With their overly-vintage sinks and cubical doors that are too wide to actually close properly (be prepared to have to wedge them open with your feet on the way out), it’s safe to say they’re one of the most neglected parts of the library. However, their nifty location on a stairway which almost no one uses means that the toilets themselves get a lot less use too.

The Chemistry Building

Could be better

Appearance: 6

Cleanliness: 4

Despite the sign on the door assuring a ‘hands free’ experience, the promising hygiene standards were let down by the fact that there was pee on most of the toilet seats. Oh dear. In spite of this, there is a significant redeeming feature in the shape of two full length mirrors (hooray!)

Palatine Centre

Just stunning

Dazzling

Appearance: 9

Cleanliness: 7

These bathrooms are as swanky as the building’s multi-million pound budget would suggest. In addition to the glossy interior, the Palatine center really goes the extra mile with instructions on just how exactly to sit on the toilet in the appropriate way (in case you’ve forgotten). If that wasn’t enough, there’s even a delightful piece of artwork in the foyer (a Roland Pichet, in case you were interested) for you to enjoy whilst you decide which toilet category you fit into.  All in all, Palatine loos are a highly recommended bathroom experience.  Did I mention they have Dyson hand driers?

Thanks guys…

Anthropology and Archaeology Building

Charming

Appearance: 7

Cleanliness: 6

Although, in general, the interior is pretty average, these loos made the list due to their secluded position. We’re also a fan of the windows and the pleasant green colour. All in all, we dig these toilets   #archaeologyjoke

DSU

Appearance: 6

Cleanliness: 5

Included in the survey purely out of moral obligation. Although the lower set of loos are as sinfully fugly as the building itself, the upper floor ones are acceptable (Photo not included in the interest of not creating blindness)

Disclaimer: This only takes into account ladies bathrooms, and therefore it should not be presumed that all gentlemen’s bathrooms are the same (they could be horrible).