Novice Cup 2013

It’s the race that everyone’s talking about… The Tab gives you the lowdown on all of the action, scores and snaps of this year’s snowy and much anticipated Novice Cup!

This weekend saw dozens of novice rowers compete in snow, sleet and hail to win the ultimate inter-college boat race.

The annual competition, which had been postponed from last term due to high water levels, saw novices from 15 colleges race to win the coveted Novice Cup. For two days rowers braved snowy conditions and minus temperatures to compete head-to-head in regatta style races.

UCBC novices supported by a huge Castle crowd

The 750m stretch of Durham racecourse was lined with enthusiastic supporters, cheering for crews as they raced, tipped, crabbed and crashed. Special mention has to go to Cuth’s for managing to sink a boat mid-river!

Launch boat comes to the rescue of Cuth’s boat ‘Professor Brooks’

The team at Cuth’s boathouse provided some superb commentary, and and not just on the rowing…

Crews were knocked out one by one, with just a handful progressing to Sunday’s quarter-finals. After an overnight rest, rowers were back out on the river at 8am. 

Once again determined crews set out to be the best, but there could only be one winner… And 2013 was certainly the year for John’s, who won an impressive three of the four awards! John Snow took the final award, winning the Men’s Cup for the second year running. Results are below:

Novice Cup Men’s Winner: John Snow College (31/Humby)

Novice Cup Women’s Winner: St John’s College (155/Rosser)

Men’s Plate Winner: St John’s College (29/Curtis)

Women’s Plate Winner: St John’s College (44/Burtonwood) 

Jonny Humby from the winning John Snow boat said, “Winning the Novice Cup was a fantastic reward to all the hard work and dedication that the boys have put in since the start of the year.

“We didn’t know what to expect from the opposition but we started well and kept focused. The support from JSBC was superb and really helped the team excel; especially the freshers captain James A-B and our truly excellent cox Grace Fletcher.

“Well done to the St John’s team who rowed well in the final and we are now looking forward to our next race.”

Whilst Chloe Rosser from the John’s winning women’s crew said, “I am immensely proud of my entire crew for putting in so much effort, and persisting despite the pain and early morning training. Also a massive thank you to our coaches for putting in the hours and always believing in us. Without such a strong team I don’t think we would have achieved so much.

“Winning felt fantastic, despite racing against a fellow John’s crew, and I think it was a brilliant start to rowing. Our prize tankards were officially christened last night! All in all, I just feel total pride and slight disbelief!”

Durham College Rowing Regatta Secretary Jemima Benstead told The Tab, “We had a great turn out of competitors, spectators and marshals despite the cold weather, the support was very appreciated and gave the commentators a good crowd.

“A few crashes and some interesting technique along the way, but in the end we got some great rowing and results!

“Congrats to St John’s and John Snow – their hard work paid off. We just hope that all the novices and their colleagues enjoyed it and are keen to continue rowing.”

Well done to all rowers, coxes and coaches who took part after a spectacular weekend of racing in what was pretty much the only sport not to be stopped by snow!

Collingwood novices after a win against Hatfield

Castle novices with their team banner