Durham One Theatre Awards – Epiphany

The votes are in and the winners are revealed! Read on to discover the winners of the One’s Theatre awards!

4:48 Psychosis Douglas Gibbs Hannah Brennan Joe Leather Rent Sam Kingston Jones Satin

The Durham One Theatre awards results are now in!

Here are the categories 

1) Best New writing

Nominees:

Sam Kingston Jones (Satin)
Tom Docker-Drysdale (State of Fugue)
Dominic Riley (Two Days From Now)
Dead Letter Office (Gareth Davies)

Winner: Sam Kingston-Jones

'The script was compelling and highly naturalistic'

Dave Spencer writing for the One

2) Best Actor

Nominees:
Grace Cheatle (Satin)
Alex Wingfield (Oklahoma)
Joe Leather (Rent)
Elissa Churchill (Fresher: The Musical!)

Winner: Joe Leather

The One caught up with Joe and got his reaction to the award,

"Love and thanks to all readers of DurhamOne. RENT made what would have otherwise been an awful, deadline-laden term incredible and If I had my way there would be a 'best actor' award going to every single incredibly talented member of the cast."

3) Best Director

Nominees:

Douglas Gibbs (Fresher, Rent)
Anna Bailey (The Marriage of Figaro
Hannah Brennan (4:48 Psychosis)
Sam Kingston Jones (Satin)

Winner: Hannah Brennan

Again the One has Hannah's reaction,

'I'm thrilled! I think a lot of the time, whilst DST is amazing, college theatre gets overlooked. As freshers, Sarah Kane's 4:48 Psychosis was a big undertaking, and even having directed before, I was intimidated. I'm so grateful to everyone who voted, and I can honesty say that I've never been a prouder member of a theatre company. I'm very grateful to Durham One for working so hard to promote the university's theatre, and I would just encourage people of any college to come to Hild Bede, because this year we have really pushed the boundaries. We're releasing the film adaptation of 4:48 over the summer, and anyone who has any interest in Artaud, or 'In-Yer-Face' theatre should give it a watch. As for the award, I can only thank all the wonderful actors I've worked with, the indispensable producers who have helped me along the way, and the beautiful audience members who spent their student loans on tickets'

4) Best Show

Nominees:

The Marriage of Figaro
Oklahoma!
Rent
Fresher the Musical!

Winner: Rent

The One asked director Douglas Gibbs for his reaction,

'Obviously, I'm thrilled. We had an amazing cast, the strongest I've ever worked with. Joe was phenomenal in a very difficult part, and absolutely deserved to win his award. The techies and production team all did a fantastic job too. Thanks to everyone involved, and to everyone who came to see it'

Which only leaves me to say thanks to everyone who helps make the theatre scene in Durham so exciting and creative! I personally cannot wait to see what the new term will bring….