Mary’s DUCK fashion show – Reviewed

The One reviews Mary’s first DUCK fashion show.

Review

This week, Mary’s College launched its debut DUCK fashion show, joining the extensive line up of fashion shows on offer this term throughout Durham.

The night started with an impressive routine from the university dance troupe, who are in high demand at the moment- popping up in college events and shows everywhere.

As per usual, they did not disappoint, and the crowd were left in high spirits for the first walk that used floral prints to create a 60’s vibe. Maxi skirts were teamed with bandeaus and flower headbands to bring some summer to the catwalk, complimenting the large flowers that flanked the stage.

A casual men’s walk followed, along with a series of vibrant women’s playsuits. Some sultry interval entertainment was provided by an acoustic rendition of Gnarles Barkley’s ‘Crazy’ before we were launched into a collection assembled by Oxfam, which really impressed.

The male models looked brilliant in a retro inspired collection that teamed smart jackets with cravats, tweed and camel coloured overcoats. Each model carried with them a vintage suitcase that complimented the theme perfectly.

We then rounded off the evening with a series of prom and cocktail dresses, accompanied by the men teaming black tie with elaborate venetian masks.

A special congratulations must go to the Mary’s college dancers, who took technical difficulties in good spirit, and the hosts Johnny and Joe who kept the crowd entertained while the error was rectified.

The crowd seemed thoroughly cheered by their evening’s entertainment, and plenty of money was raised for a good cause. Now such a precedent has been set, lets hope Marys can go even bigger and better next year.