We interviewed the SU Presidential Candidates so you can meet them before you vote

Go on, get to know them better!

The SU Elections are drawing close and we thought you’d like to know more about this year’s candidates before you cast that crucial vote. So, we interviewed them to find out who they are and what they’re like behind the banner.

Georgie East

Who are you?

“I’m Georgie East! I’m the current VP Welfare and Campaigns at Cardiff University Student’s Union, I’m 22 and graduated from Geography last year.”

Why did you decide to run for SU president?

“I had a really difficult start to University, and if it wasn’t for the support the SU offered me, I would have dropped out in first year! Since then, I’ve worked in the Advice department, been part of sports, societies, worked behind the bar, and this year, been your Vice President Welfare and Campaigns. Despite this year being difficult and completely different to any expectations I had, I absolutely love this role. Being able to help students directly, through 1-2-1 support. As President, I want to be that person that all students feel they can approach, whatever the issue. I will ensure I can better the student experience on both an individual and whole policy level.”

What is unique about your campaign?

“I think having such an insight into how Welfare functions in the university is invaluable this year. Everyone has been affected in one way or another by the pandemic, so having someone with student welfare expertise at the forefront of conversations with the university will only be an asset. I would say that improved student mental health and wellbeing will only improve academic achievement, and student experience. So, if there was ever a year to have your Welfare Sabb as your President, it’s this one! I have a few tricks up my sleeve for campaign week too, so keep your eyes peeled!

If you’d like an insight into my campaign shenanigans please follow @g_for_p on Instagram….and remember…DON’T LET THINGS GO SOUTH, VOTE EAST!”

What are the main things you’re planning to achieve in this role?

Facilitate rent rebates and hardship bursaries, work towards the Equality Diversity and Inclusion policy, present the Period Dignity campaign to the Welsh Government, roll-out free menstrual products across campus, help achieve carbon neutrality of the organisation, and execute the changes the student population wants to see.

Fave Cardiff lockdown memory?

“Surprising my housemate for her birthday! She has been living at home and didn’t know we would all be back in the house so we were able to decorate the house and surprise her when she moved back in! It’s getting to the point now where almost all of us will have had a lockdown birthday, so it was so special that we had the opportunity to actually be here with her as a household.”

Hannah Doe

Who are you?

“I’m Hannah Doe, a 3rd year biomedical sciences student from a small town in Devon, UK. I am your current Vice President Education which is far more like a lifestyle than a job to me. You’ll find me with my head in a book, exploring new places or creating film content. I love spending time with family and friends (including fury ones).”

“This year as you know has been a roller coaster and I have learnt so much in my role. I have worked tirelessly this year and I still have so much to give to Cardiff students. Working so closely with Tomos, the current SU President, through sitting on University Council (if you are as clueless as I was before, this is the Board of University Trustees), steering groups, Committees and continuously action planning together has provided me with the foundations to be the next SU President. I have been put in challenging situations, faced the difficult decisions and learnt so much along the way.”

What is unique about your campaign?

“I love this question! Everything I do is driven by students. You may have heard me say ‘What is important to you is important to me’ because that is my motivation. If you want something, I will work for it. My campaign is diverse, inclusive and focuses on 4 priorities: Wellbeing, Education, Student Experience and Sustainability. These priorities set my focus for the year ahead but are not exhaustive. We had no idea what this year was going to be like and whilst working on my Manifesto points I have done so much work in response to student demand, including the Safety Net policy and COVID Complaints procedure.”

High-quality inclusive education, implement the academic feedback system to open up conversation, involve students in decisions, strong foundations for wellbeing, memorable student experience and a drive to sustainability.

Fave Cardiff lockdown memory?

“Oooo, I have just come off the phone to my friends and we were discussing the things we have enjoyed this past year (despite the challenges…there’s been a few). I would have to say my birthday, it was my first one away from family and it may seem like not a big deal to some, but I thought it was going to be tough and my friends made it the best day ever. They made pancakes, blew up balloons that are still up (my birthday was in October…) and we celebrated on the last night before Wales went into lockdown. Honestly, I am so grateful for all the amazing people around me!”

So now that you know the people behind the banners, it’s time to make a decision. Remember that every vote counts and your voice matters. Maybe next time we can see you running for the position!

You can click here to cast your votes for President, as well as for Sabbatical Officers.