This is how Brexit could impact your Erasmus+ experience

This is everything we know about the future for Erasmus+ students

| UPDATED Hide Images

Since the United Kingdom chose to leave the European Union in 2016, there has been little development or change for students who choose to spend a semester or a year abroad as part of their degree. But with the deadline approaching at the end of October, students nominated for time abroad for the next academic year have anxieties of what lies ahead.

Meg Davies during her year abroad in France

The prospect of universities leaving the Erasmus+ Programme if the United Kingdom successfully leave the Europe Union at the end of this month has been addressed by the Erasmus+ Programme, who recommend applications to be "submitted as normal for the upcoming deadlines" to guarantee students funding if a deal is put in place.

Future Erasmus+ students that study degrees that undergo a module selection in spring have been advised by Cardiff University to select "preferred modules across both semesters" as a precaution for what may happen after this month. Selecting modules across both semesters provides a safety net in-case applications are withdrawn and the student can study their desired modules provided by their home institution.

The EHIC card has been a security for students and British citizens alike, entitling all to medical treatment if illness or accidents occur. However, it has been confirmed that the EHIC card will no longer sustain validity if the United Kingdom leaves without a deal and the Government have issued the advice that students and British citizens should invest in travel insurance to cover healthcare.

The Government have released NHS guidelines for travelling abroad

With the EHIC card in a state of vulnerability, students and British citizens travelling to European countries will also have to pay a £6.30 fee to travel for up to three years, the European Commission has confirmed. The possibility of a student visa, a prospect most studying internationally face, remains completely uncertain at this time, representatives of Cardiff University have confirmed.

The ultimate concern for prospective Erasmus+ students is, of course, funding. All students are recommended to take part in the scheme despite their financial background due to the aid of the Erasmus+ grant.

In an update to the initial ambiguity on the matter, Cardiff University have since confirmed that they have secured funding for all their students on the scheme should Erasmus+ withdraw funding. Students anticipating a year-long experience will receive nine months of funding, whilst students studying for a single semester will receive 4.5 months of funding.

Ella Theaker during her semester abroad in Norway

The level of uncertainty that rests upon students due to the problems of Brexit negotiations are unsettling and will impact degree choice in future. Language students across Cardiff campus have expressed a disinterest in the course if they were not given a year placement abroad.

A second-year French student from Cardiff University told the Tab Cardiff that:

"One of the main appeals of a languages degree is getting to go and study abroad for a year. Not only is it a great opportunity to see more of the world, it’s essential to actually developing your language skills.

"You can’t become fluent in a language from the classroom."

For more information, Cardiff University have released an up-to-date section on Brexit and FCO have a detailed page on potential impacts. We will continue to update you on the impact this has on future Erasmus+ students as more information is released.