Sandi Toksvig appointed Qantabrigian Bye-Fellow at Christ’s College

Sightings of former bake-off star around Cambridge explained

Sandi Toksvig has been spotted at Christ’s high table at least twice this week after being appointed a Bye-Fellow there earlier this month.

The Department of Sociology’s LGBTQ+ research programme has created a fellowship to allow LGBTQ+ Cambridge alumni to return to Cambridge for the purpose of developing new research projects or ideas.

This year’s fellow is none other than Great British Bake Off’s own Sandi Toksvig, who succeeded other Cambridge alumni Mel Giedroyc and Sue Perkins in 2017. Also a prominent women’s rights activist and founder of the Women’s Equality party, Toksvig plans to work on a digital resource encompassing a “…three-dimensional, interactive view of the globe from a female perspective…” which has been named the Mappa Mundi project.

Sunset over Christ’s college (Image Credit: Kirsty Falconer)

The purpose of the Q-Fellowship is to celebrate the achievements of LGBTQ+ Cambridge alumni while using research projects to engage a more diverse audience. As part of Toksvig’s new role as Bye-Fellow of Christ’s she will also be hosting several events, workshops and meetings over the course of the year.

Toksvig will be off our screens for the foreseeable future while the Mappa Mundi project is launched, but the Girton alumna is expected to make her return to television in late 2024.

Until then, the students of Christ’s will get to enjoy Toksvig’s presence at their lunch for a little longer.

Feature Image Credit: Kirsty Falconer