Cambridge University strikes called off

UCU calls off strike action for start of term

The University and College Union (UCU) at the University of Cambridge has decided to call off the university strikes scheduled to take place at the start of term. 88 other universities across the country have also decided to call off strikes.

Notably, the strikes have not been called off due to local agreements with the university employers but rather as a move to allow UCU members to focus on the national ballot, which commenced this week.

UCU general secretary Jo Grady said:  “We have seen many employers do the right thing and agree to stop punitive pay deductions and some have also agreed to return what has been taken. We are now urging other vice-chancellors to follow their lead and are calling off strike action at dozens of universities. This will also allow our members to concentrate on winning the reballot and getting the pay and conditions they deserve”.

“Renewing our mandate and keeping the pressure on is the way we will win this dispute, but the strike action due to go ahead next week stands as a reminder to all employers that if you behave egregiously, you will face further disruption”.

The decision to suspend the strikes has been welcomed by students who were concerned by the disruption to their studies. An undergraduate English student expressed their relief, saying, “I am so relieved, it’s been stressful not receiving results. I’m glad we will at least have lectures this term”.

Students can look forward to a normal start to the academic year and the hope that the national ballot will provide an effective platform for addressing the concerns and demands of university staff.