Culture Trip Week Three: Procrastination

Recommendations to justify my procrastination

After falling down a YouTube rabbit hole about the entire 47-year history of SNL, I decided it was time to get up and engage in another, more useful, form of procrastination. Having been quite ill for the past two days, my justification for doing nothing has exponentially increased. Even though I’ve complained about those days in libraries jam-packed with students, at this point I have found that I miss them. However, I will use this intro to tell everyone not to barricade themselves in the library after hours, and instead get rest during this exam term! Treat yourself occasionally, as you must keep up your health for the intense May Week celebrations. After all, that is the ultimate reward for this term.

Movie – Ferris Bueller’s Day Off

This movie could be described in many ways, depending on your perspective or current place in life. A romantic may see this as a story of three friends taking the last school day off in favour of some well-deserved fun, before the end of the school year. Whereas a teacher may look at the plot as a dean desperately trying to expose a delinquent before graduation. Either way, this film is a classic with an ever-increasing number of iconic lines, scenes and songs (the amount of times I whispered chicka chickaaa writing this).

To be this free in summer… (Image credits: Flickr and Creative Commons License)

The movie would be the source of years and years of future pop culture references that would come tumbling in after its release, unbeknownst to the movie’s creators at the time. It even includes two post-credit scenes (before Marvel made it mainstream). Multiple other projects pay homage to Ferris from ‘Deadpool’’s recreation of the famous “You’re still here? It’s over, go home” post-credit scene. The actual movie also plays in the background of one of the scenes of ‘Spiderman: Homecoming.’ This comfort film is a must-watch to rid exam blues.

TV Show – Eurovision

This better happen (image credits: Screenshot via Rowbridge)

It’s the annual insane musical show, where everyone excitedly gathers round to watch the UK come last every year. However, this year was different. With Ukraine taking the winning title, the UK actually came second (thanks to Sam Ryder), for the first time since 1998. With a great mix of songs this year, I highly recommend watching this one with friends. My personal favourites are Slovenia and Austria, and the show did not disappoint in its usual fever-dream aura, with its most bizarre song coming from Norway. From the band Subwoolfer, the song ‘Give that Wolf a Banana’ was performed in bright yellow masks and students have recently called for their distinctive costumes to be worn out on the water by yellow-kitted colleges.

Album – Tourist History – Two Door Cinema Club

Flashback to going to see them in Glasgow and getting the date completely wrong (Image credits: Screenshot via Spotify)

This album is hype, personified, and the very definition of summer. It’s the perfect accompaniment to any escapist, sunny imaginings of the coming summer months. The beginning of each song hooks you with the most memorable guitar riffs, and universally-known beats will have you immediately jumping up and down and singing your heart out, complaining neighbours in every direction. From ‘Undercover Martyn’ to ‘What You Know’ — you may not know the names, but within a second, you will recognise these iconic tunes from anywhere. It is perfect for something loud to listen to in order to block out that ‘What are you listening to?’ guy that comes up to you on King’s Parade. 

Book – We Have Always Lived in the Castle by Shirley Jackson

A short thriller novel that follows 18-year-old protagonist Mary Katherine Blackwood, We Have Always Lived in the Castle is perfect for a quick revision break.  The story revolves around a family that is shunned by society after the mysterious murders of four of its family members. The town is particularly wary of Mary’s sister, Constance, whom they believe to be the murderer. However, everything changes when an estranged cousin, Charles, reappears for a visit. The slow-burning tension escalates to a sudden unfolding climax that will have you gripped till the very last page. 

The book is also adapted into an independent film that holds the same gothic feel, and it successfully transcribes the pages into beautiful cinematography. And there is obviously no ulterior motive for me recommending this other than Sebastian Stan starring in it as Charles Blackwood, and he balances the perfect mix of charm and creepiness throughout. 

Feature image credits: Billy Wilson via Creative Commons

Articles recommended by this author: