Image may contain: Outdoors, Human, Person

Four fashion truths that can’t be stressed enough

There are no rules when it comes to fashion… except when there are.

Fashion is about as subjective as an English essay, and sometimes we have to be reminded of that. But, whilst there are no real rules when it comes to fashion, there are definitely a few things we should keep in mind. There's no definitive answer to what counts as fashionable, and even when there seems to be, new trends sweep in to confuse you further. However, that's besides the point, as despite fashion's inherent subjectivity there are some ideas or rules which we can consider to be, to an extent, somewhat universal. Here's four fashion truths that can't be stressed enough.

1. Wearing head-to-toe designer doesn't automatically mean you're well-dressed.

Whilst the matchy-matchy designer vibe can be cute, it certainly isn't necessary.

You've heard it before, and I'll say it again: the idea that wearing Balmain makes you well-dressed is not just inherently elitist, but also just untrue. Now, this isn't to say that you can't wear all-designer and look good and also have a good sense of style – all it means is that being stylish isn't dependent on wearing expensive designer clothes. I've seen head-to-toe Primark outfits that have been more stylish and interesting than head-to-toe Off-White, because realistically it's not about what you wear- it's about how you wear it.

2. Feeling comfortable in what you're wearing is more important than what you're wearing.

Is wearing latex ever really an enjoyable experience?

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5gXANmDB7-

We've all been there: having to wear an outfit that's out of your comfort-zone and hating every second of it. For me, there's no experience that sums this up more clearly than the feeling of wearing my matriculation gown- it's something that I'd never actively wear and I'm conscious of its presence when it's on. Following a trend that you don't actually enjoy wearing will never be as fashionable as wearing clothes that make you happy.

3. You probably already have enough clothes.

And your fast fashion habits are doing nothing to help the planet.

Constantly saying "I have nothing to wear" is one of those stereotypes about women that is perhaps more damaging than it is complimentary. However, I hate to admit it's certainly something I've said as I panic to put together an outfit before an event and can't shake the idea that you shouldn't outfit-repeat.

In reality, we almost definitely have enough clothes and there are so many ways to wear a single piece, and when considering the environmental implications of fast-fashion, outfit-repeating is hardly a crime, and instead is the way forward.

Think about all the combinations of your current clothes you haven't tried yet- some of my best outfits have come from trying out combinations I never thought would work.

And if you really need to buy new clothes, consider charity shops and vintage kilo sales as a first, rather than a last resort.

4. Don't be afraid to try new things.

Because maybe the next crazy thing on the runway is your new look. Or maybe not…

Yes, two points ago I was encouraging you to wear what makes you feel comfortable, but I would argue that not trying things out of your comfort-zone for fear of judgement can be just as bad as wearing clothes you're not comfortable in to conform.

You can't develop your own style without trying new things from time to time, and whilst this may result in some outfits which you will retrospectively contemplate in horror, it will almost certainly be worth it for your wider style evolution. You can't develop good style without making a few fashion faux pas along the way.

In conclusion…

Style and what's considered fashionable can often be difficult worlds to navigate, but remembering the subjective nature of both can actually be very empowering and help in the development of a sense of style that makes you feel good. Ultimately, the only fashion rules that matter are the ones that you decide that matter, and that's the beauty of it.

Cover photo credit: Leila Lawrence