ADC theatre to close for six months

The home of Cambridge theatre will undergo extensive renovation

ADC Cambridge closed Closure Drama emma thompson News Theatre tom hiddleston

The ADC Theatre will close from April to October 2018 in order to make 'necessary changes' in order to bring it 'up to industry standard'. This was announced on Facebook today by ADC manager Victoria Collins.

Work set to take place includes the installation of a ventilation system to regulate the temperature of the auditorium, repairs to the roof, and the construction of two lighting bridges.

As a result, the ADC Theatre will be closed from April to October 2018, although there will still be an ‘active programme at the Corpus Playroom.'

The Corpus playroom will still be in action

Collins stated that she was 'keen to continue providing as many theatre opportunities as possible' and announced that throughout Easter Term and the long vacation, three or four productions will go on tour around venues in Cambridge. One of these includes a ‘most ambitious’ adaption of Philip Pullman’s ‘His Dark Materials’. It will be performed in a temporary exhibition space at the Fitzwilliam Museum and applications open on the 12th October.

The ADC is renowned as the home of Cambridge theatre, and actors including Sir Ian McKellen, Emma Thompson and Tom Hiddleston have all performed there at the beginning of their careers. It's therefore very exciting that the home of Cambridge theatre is being transformed into a cutting edge performance space.